Budding husky owner!

Finn124

Hi, i have a few quick questions, i am 15 and i want to own a husky (ive been inspired by the film 'the lost boys') however i need to ask some questions first, are siberian huskys good with other smaller animals, if i were to buy one id buy it from a puppy and raise it with the other smaller dogs, and would i be able to train jt to not escape my garden 😂

You mean training it not to leave your garden without a fence around it...that might be a problem .. . With a good fence and gate control of all people in the household you should be fine...😆

if you have a pup with smaller dogs I do not see a problem when they grow up together it normally goes ok... 

and good for you to do some investigation before getting a pup...

1 hour ago, robke said:

You mean training it not to leave your garden without a fence around it...that might be a problem .. . With a good fence and gate control of all people in the household you should be fine...😆

if you have a pup with smaller dogs I do not see a problem when they grow up together it normally goes ok... 

and good for you to do some investigation before getting a pup...

Thank you so much, my garden has a 6 foot wood clad type fence around it, that should be okay to keep him in?, also with the howling aspect, could i train that out of him, and is it a good idea to crate train him when hes younger as apose to older?

Mine howl on command and when there is somebody at the door they do know the command stop and 90% of the time they do stop...I personally do not use a crate we used to when camping but 1 of the crates now hold our drinks and the other has no door and gets used by 2nout of 3 to just sleep in...but at home they have tho roam of the house even when not there, that works for me but maybe not for everybody, but would start training as young as possible...even though the say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks is incorrect...

50 minutes ago, robke said:

Mine howl on command and when there is somebody at the door they do know the command stop and 90% of the time they do stop...I personally do not use a crate we used to when camping but 1 of the crates now hold our drinks and the other has no door and gets used by 2nout of 3 to just sleep in...but at home they have tho roam of the house even when not there, that works for me but maybe not for everybody, but would start training as young as possible...even though the say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks is incorrect...

Sorry for asking 10 million questions, will my cat be okay too or would the dog see it as prey? 

Cat it might see as prey but then again if you have it from a pup and the cat has means to go to it’s own designated area where the pup cannot go it might be alright but always keep an eye out for trouble...

and do not worry ask away better this way then get a pup and you have to deal with problems or even worse give it up again... that is the reason so many huskies are in rescues all over the world...

1 minute ago, robke said:

Cat it might see as prey but then again if you have it from a pup and the cat has means to go to it’s own designated area where the pup cannot go it might be alright but always keep an eye out for trouble...

and do not worry ask away better this way then get a pup and you have to deal with problems or even worse give it up again... that is the reason so many huskies are in rescues all over the world...

Also, i know most people say 2 hours a day walk, but i would only be able to do a 1 hour a day walk, i also live in the english country side so theres lots of bumps and fields and stuff, would only a 1 hour walk be okay

First of all   - well done for doing your research first.

Some general advice,  never, ever let your new dog off lead unless there is minimum of 6ft fencing around  i.e. a secure dog park.    As a young pup when you are teaching recall they will more than likely come back each and every time  .................... but this changes when they grow up   -  one day your dog will just 'go deaf'  -  and will possibly be the last time you see him or her alive.     

I dont use crates   - but it is best taught when young if you are going to crate   - make the crate a place of fun, safety and security   -  possibly by feeding your pup in the crate to start with.

I have two huskies, Marley I got as a 12 week old pup  (but I was his 4th owner even at that young age) and he grew up with an older dog who lived quite happily with our cat, so he is fine with the cat.    I recently rescued another husky 3 years old, who used to live with a cat in his first home   -  so I was hopeful that he would get used to my cat.     This is not the case   -   I can tell by his attitude, stance etc that if he ever gets past the 4ft gate in the hallway he will kill our cat on sight.    My cat has lived with about 5 different dogs and looks upon dogs as his friends  -  but this new dog is the only one I have seen him really scared of  -  and they have only ever seen each other on either side of the gate.

As for exercise, it really depends on how far you can walk or run in that hour I suppose,  huskies can happily go out running for a couple of hours, go home, drink, eat, have a short nap and be ready to go out again for another couple of hours running.    On the other hand if they get enough exercise in that hour, then playing in the garden with a ball etc, and teaching them tricks  (mind games tire them out as much as exercise) will keep your dog happy and well balanced in my opinion/experience.    

Dont expect your husky to be like most of the dogs you see around, he/she will not necessarily think you are the best person on the planet  .......  will react to strangers like long lost friends,  (even burglars), will not protect you or stand up for you,  will only obey you if he/she wants to,  - can see it benefitting them somehow.   They have a mind of their own  - and they use that mind.    Can and will outwit you on numerous occasions  and can on occasions be the most exasperating animals on the planet.

Having said that,  I would never consider having any other type of dog now,  they are very challenging, but so rewarding,  they can be loving or aloof depending on their mood,  but the more research you do now and the more time you put in to them as they are growing up  -  the more you will reap the rewards of the most fantastic dog on the planet  (although I admit I might be a tiny bit biased).

Even if you bring a puppy into a home with a cat and they get on fine never ever leave them unsupervised,  even Huskies that have been fine with cats for years and years can suddenly see them as prey , a 6 foot fence should be fine tho some can jump that high , depends on the dog you can always add a trellis to the top if you need to 

Mine dont and have never gone out for 2 hours walking I do 3 walks a day from 20/30 mins to 40/50 mins a walk depending 

Never let them off the lead they have a high desire to run aswell as the prey drive , they go 'deaf' and ignore all commands and can be very stubborn too 

I hope you like fur also as they shed like a beast when they blow their coats lol 

I got my two when they were 7 weeks.

I do not trust them around the cats when I am not home. 

I especially do not trust my male around small animals.

Even if you do not attend to crate, it is still a great idea to at least get them comfortable in case of long stays at a vet, if they become destructive (obstruction surgeries run about $7000 here), or if you have to evacuate. I started off with feeding all meals in the crate and then slowly extending the time. *I never leave mine unattended in their crate* Never use the crate as a punishment.

Leash train

Make sure there is nothing they can swallow that they shouldn’t.

Mine have ate: socks, peach pits, a whole chicken leg bone (big one), hair bows, blankets, pillow, wash cloth, a large chunk of a dog toy, strip of carpeting, and an S.O.S pad.

And I stay at home with them 24/7 and keep my house pretty spotless. They are quick and sneaky. When they are being quiet they are most likely getting into something.

Kiddy gates work great, love having a den, lots of play and love, and a very good quality food.

• 1 month later...

Lots of good advice.

Ours is free to roam the laundry and backyard so good to make sure they have a 'house' or somewhere they can rest. Ours doesn't howl but speaks to us and at other animals including other dogs from time to time. We had a rabbit before we got her at 12 weeks and they never got along always tormented the poor thing and tried to eat her. She actually got under our fence and stole a chicken from next door neighbours, make sure they cannot dig out. Very loving and personality loaded. I walk ours only 45/1 hour each day and that works for us she's happy. I wouldn't trade a husky for any other dog but they are a lot of hard work way too smart for their own good and God are they stubborn

Sent from my TA-1012 using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived