New family member.

WaLeSy50

Well, I've just become the lucky owner of a stunning Husky cross Malamute. I've taken the time to study online, reading an watching where I can. I'm aware of a few things but really I'm just looking for tips from other owners, she's clearly very smart an certainly has a very strong character. Look forward to any advice you can throw my way.

Many thanks.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1564051455485.jpg

20190710_121334.jpg

20190714_102044.jpg

4 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Welcome 

She is soooo cute.

Crate train, leash train, and lots of pictures.

Thanks,  I'm really in love. 

Leash training is a big one I need to focus on, any tips? Only had her out a couple times so far, she's only had one of her injections just waiting on the second. Peppa her name is, an while she follows commands a little already,  when she wants to do something she will! Certainly has a rebellious side to her.

15641327066132209107649914498205.jpg

Thanks. Certainly a proud dog owner, can't wait to watch her grow an learn. 

You can start in the house. 

Leash;

Leash her and have her follow you around. Every time she goes by your side and looks up at you (checks in) tell her good girl and give her a treat. After a few days she will understand that she gets praise and treats for being in a certain spot and checking in.

Play tug and fitch while leashed with her favorite toy.

When she pulls just turn to go the opposite or stop and make her set for a second. 

For crating;

Feed all her meals in her crate and then “slow” start extending the time she stays in there.

Then when she is older about 6 months, start working on door control. Staying in her crate with door open until you tell her to come out.

Have her sit at the front door, car door, store doors, open the doors without her going through until you tell her to.

The more you work with her mentally, the happier both of you guys will be.

And always stop training while she still wants to do more.

Archived