Sign in to follow this  
Onceuponadime

Hairy Houdini

My husky is well excercised. However he escaped again tonight. He went through the fence. What bothered me is he would not come back. It was an utter nightmare.  I live in a rural area thankfully he didn't get in with any livestock there is sheep next to my house. I'm resecuring the fence tomorrow again. The issue that bothers me is he wouldn't come back. Luckily it was 1am and I suspect it was deer that enticed him to escape. There were no cars on the road and I was like the proverbial village idiot trying to catch him. I ran away from him that's how I caught him in the end. Hes 18 month and it's really bothered me that he would not come back at all. Any advice. 

Yes secure your fence better and then even better than that... huskies are known for their excellent recall....uhmmm. Nottttttttt.... lol...

You need to work on recall  every single day of their lives   -  that way you might stand a 10% chance of getting one to come back to you when you need them to.    They are escape artistes par-excellance.    

• Laughing 1

When Solo got out I only caught him cuz he's nosy and jumped in the back of a van! 

It's a husky thing , make sure he cant get out again is pretty much all you can do , they're known to turn deaf once they've escaped , it's why its not advised to let them off the lead either 

I work recall everyday.

Long line 20ft. Started by playing fitch (so lucky mine actually do that) and call them back to me, once they come to me they get a yummy high value treat.

My girl has gotten away twice. It took 30/45 minutes to get her back. Luckily I had her brother leashed with me and it kept her close.

But she had way too much fun doing fly byes with a big smile on her face. 😅