Cool coats for Huskies

Luna-tic

I met a lady walking a Jack Russell who was wearing what she described as a cool coat because she said he panted a lot on warm days and now he doesn’t. I’ve looked them up and it had me wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment for Luna. I’m walking her between 7-8 am and she’s fine when we set out but by the time we are on the way back she is panting a lot. My fingers in her coat find heat right down to her skin so I’m not sure about her coat keeping her cool.

Has anyone else used something similar on their husky, was it effective? It would cost about £70, not a lot but a fair bit if it’s not going to be useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why? Do you think a dog doesn’t need such a thing because they can mostly regulate their body heat or because you don’t think it would be efficient? The one I was looking at was Ruffwear swamp cooler.

88ed819d3399f6da455e3f9ae053d338.jpg

This is Luna, she has a very dense thick coat, she is shaved there post surgery and her fur has grown back pretty well although there’s a long way to go. I am a bit concerned about how quickly she starts panting on a hot day, she makes like a gagging sound when we’re on the way back.

to me they are a gimmick... a quick money making machine...

I know my dogs and I know the temps in the UK and in Holland I take mine in the morning for a long walk and if the temperature is above 23 cel it will be a shorter walk... they come home or if we re at the campsite they find their shade and fresh water and they are happy as Larry... just remember this coat also weighs something so in a way you are putting on a burden of weight on the dog as well...

I don’t think it is something that would work well for mine.

It gets well up over a 100 degrees where I live. We are out the door early morning, once I don’t see or here the coyotes. 

We do a short quick walk/training, play tug in the front yard as a reward, then it is straight inside. 

If the get restless during the day we do inside training and play games. But mostly they sleep during the heat of the day.

They also get feed less since there activity level has dropped  

Waste of money they don't cover parts of a dog's body that actually needs to be cooled anyway. We get temps in summer of 40degree Celsius and ours is fine she sleeps a lot more than usual but have a cooling mat which she never lays on anyway prefers cool concrete or tiles. I think it's a bit of a gimmick

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Whilst it has been hot here  - Marley is walked very early morning  (they are back by 5am)  -  and late at night   - during the day if he gets too warm he just stands in his outside  water bowl  (always in the shade)  -  but his new trick this year has been to dig himself a hole in a shady part of the garden  - to get to the cooler soil underneath.    I firmly believe they get cooler better by having wet feet and a cold drink than anything else.

Whilst it has been hot here  - Marley is walked very early morning  (they are back by 5am)  -  and late at night   - during the day if he gets too warm he just stands in his outside  water bowl  (always in the shade)  -  but his new trick this year has been to dig himself a hole in a shady part of the garden  - to get to the cooler soil underneath.    I firmly believe they get cooler better by having wet feet and a cold drink than anything else.
Ours digs the hole and lays in it even in winter [emoji23]

Will not work ok Thick Long coated dogs

on short coats like labs   Jacks etc it will get some skin contact and cool them, but on dogs like husky malamutes  shepherds etc  they have thick coats that will hold the coat away from the skin

23 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Will not work ok Thick Long coated dogs

on short coats like labs   Jacks etc it will get some skin contact and cool them, but on dogs like husky malamutes  shepherds etc  they have thick coats that will hold the coat away from the skin

My husky is a wooly  - just as long coated, possibly longer  - and has been just as thick coated  - its only because he has now moulted and is raked daily still that he looks fairly 'normal' (for him anyway).  He obviously thinks it works - or he would not bother to do it.

My husky is a wooly  - just as long coated, possibly longer  - and has been just as thick coated  - its only because he has now moulted and is raked daily still that he looks fairly 'normal' (for him anyway).  He obviously thinks it works - or he would not bother to do it.
I think Paul's comment was in reference to the jacket

I got a cool coat to try - and I wasn't convinced. The theory's fine: evaporating water requires energy so it'll cool the coat. Problem is, as mentioned above, double coats are just too thick to help - though I am reasonably convinced they'd work on a short haired, single coat dog 😉

Here's Luka wearing his coat - rewetting was never a problem as he loves swimming! As you can see in the 3rd pic, he's panting
(N.B. Leads edited out)

IMG_4338.thumb.jpg.89a08694326441a8d961e22df93c7bd9.jpg

IMG_4346.thumb.jpg.305beeebe8b42a759285237ebfbbc045.jpg

IMG_4311.thumb.jpg.033a1c5dbfbeef4a18ac4f8be4d3fb17.jpg

Thanks everyone, I’ll give it a miss as it seems a bit pointless. Luna has a very thick coat which bits of blow but she’s not done a full shed while I’ve had her. She also seeks out a dark, damp place, under the honeysuckle which is thick, how she gets between the roots of that and the other shrubs is a work of art lol.

Archived