Aggression

Rebecca.T

I have a one and a half year old husky named Kira. Shes been difficult from the get go. Potty training was a nightmare and she still has accidents, she still wont listen to my commands even though she knows them. She is a touch inbread from a back yard breeder which i didnt know until after i saw her papers. Shes an absolutly beautiful dog and my husky i had growing up was no where near as bad. She likes to play with my cat and my cat likes to play rough. In the past few months shes taken to running beside him and biting his head hard enough that he cries. We've broken them up and dont let them play together anymore because shes way to rough and my cat wont scratch her to get her to back off. Just last weekend we got a kitten and my dog has just gone nuts. She lunges for the kitten anytime she can. She wont eat she wont calm down if the kitten around shes absolutly obsessed. Shes tried to dig her way into the laundry room just to reach the kitten. My fiance hates the dog because shes so disobedient and i dont know what to do anymore. Shes not fixed yet because my vet wants to charge me a fortune and im so busy at work i cant often take her for walks. I want to keep her but i feel like theres nothing i can do to stop her. Even if she goes on daily walks i still feel shes going to try and attack the kitten. After yet another breakdown and feeling like a failure my fiance said hes done helping with the dog. He wont force me to get rid of it but hes not going to help with a dog whos he feels like is a lost cause. Im in Maine if that helps any.

Deep breaths.

Most of us have gone through this.

Huskies are Notorious for going after cats. I have two pups (16 months) and two adult cats. Very strong boundaries need to be set and do not trust her with the cats. 

Hate to say this but.... probably a good idea to rehome the kitten.

Get her spayed. You can go to your local Humane Society. They normally will help or have programs. Offer volunteer work in trade.

Work on mental stimulation activities. 10 minutes at a time a couple of times a day. It will wear her out faster then an insane walk. 

Walks should be controlled. There is a great trainer in Maine. SolidK9. Has videos on YouTube. 

Teenage stage is fun... 🤣

If I can get through it with two, you can do it too.

They feed off the frustration. Have confidence. You can get throw this.

I've got a husky and a cat   (used to have 2 dogs and two cats)  -   May I propose another solution - probably highly unpopular?  If after trying everything you can, looking at all the videos on training, using the information, you find you just dont have the time for your husky that she obviously needs  - that you look into rehoming her?    I know this sounds awful and cold hearted - it really is not meant that way.   Your dog will be picking up on the resentment from your boyfriend  -  and it won't be helping.    The stress will be piling up on you  - and again your dog will be picking up on that.    Your dog sees your fluffy new kitten as prey  (and obviously is getting that way with your older cat)  -   and possibly competition  - for your joint attention.   I noticed you said "even if she goes on daily walks"   -  a husky needs a minimum of 2 walks a day  -  preferably of 2-3 of miles each.    They really are working dogs - in the same way as sheep dogs  - ideally they need a job  - preferably one that intails lots of running and pulling.  I've just had to rehome a fostered Malamute a week early - through a sudden change in my circumstances  - my own ill-health,  it was the hardest thing I have had to do  - but the dog's needs must come first.   I could no longer give the Malamute the amount of exercise  and training he needed  - and it was causing problems at home with my other dog  - and increasing stress levels for all of us - particularly the Malamute - and he really did not need that.

Think long and hard - and ask yourself some uncomfortable questions,   you know how high the prey drive is in huskies  -  if you knew that your dog was getting more and more agressive towards your adult cat  - why did you bring a helpless kitten into the house?   Its hard enough to introduce a dog (particularly a husky) into a household that already has cats  -  a far different proposition to introduce a cat into a household that already has a husky.

When my husky came here I already had two cats  -  he gets on fine with the remaining cat (Angel died of cancer 6 months ago) -  and whilst there has never been any sort of agression on his part  - they are never left unsurpervised.    It is possible for huskies and cats to live togther harmoniously -  but its rare.   They can live together for years  - then one day - for no apparent reason - suddenly you have a dead cat.  I love my husky to the moon and back  - and would trust him with my life   -  but not the life of my cat.

Huskies (apart from the rare few) and cats don’t mix unfortunately! Huskies have a very high prey drive compared to other breeds so she will go for the kitten. I agree that the kitten needs to be rehomed for her/her own safety. Exercise will not fix the problem, a kitten probably wasn’t the best idea

Huskies are also very independent and have selective hearing! They do have a what’s in it for me attitude so a lot of patience is needed. Huskies don’t tend to hit adulthood until they are 2 so she is still a pup at the moment. If you get frustrated she will sense this

She does however need daily exercise, you will have to make time to walk her. Huskies are working dogs and need plenty of exercise! Mental stimulation is just as important, if she’s bored it will not help with her behaviour

Try getting a behaviourist round to the house who can help you

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Huskies have a massive prey drive as you are seeing , it's not aggression shes just doing what was bred into her , the lack of exercise wont be helping with her behaviour either sadly , a tired husky is a happy husky,  If you cant give her the basics (as we all know how high energy this breed can be) then it might be in her best interest to rehome her , if you dont want to rehome her it would probably be best to return the kitten for its safety 

• 2 weeks later...

My almost 9 year old Siberian has killed and eaten literally dozens of animals. If given a chance she would go after a kitten in a heartbeat.

She's also obedience trained, regularly goes with me into Lowe's and other stores that allow dogs and according to my vet, is the best Siberian in the state in terms of behavior.

What you're seeing isn't aggression. It's innate behavior you will NOT be able to train out of your dog.

When the breed was being developed by the Chukchi tribe in far eastern Russia, the dogs were released during the summer to fend for themselves. Any dog that couldn't hunt didn't return to the tribe and therefore didn't breed or was culled. That's why Siberians are so prey-driven. They can't help it, it literally is in their genes.

For the safety of all involved, one of the animals needs to be re-homed. I'm sorry, I know that isn't easy, but your dog literally cannot change that facet of her behavior.

Archived