Hard Time with behaviour and training

Rodrigo

Hey everyone,

I'm new in this world, and it's my first Husky which was a breed that i always loved! Although i have a few concerns that hope you can help me with.

1 - About the energy. Well i know Huskys are pretty active, and so is mine! I walk with him almost every day, and the days i don't i let him run around in the garden since is big and has walls so he doesn't run. Although even today, i walked him for around 1 hour, and after that we went to an open park where he ran like crazy and even went to the water (has a river close by). Even after that i couldn't train him or even tell him to sit cause he is always full of energy! Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong? 

2 - About the personality. I totally love my dog, and he is pretty smart. Sometimes i just think he doesn't respect me and really doesn't care about me, for instances he doesn't like getting petted as much as i would expect, he seems to be fine on his own and all we wants is to run free, i wish i could tell him to listen to me more frequently, even without distractions i try to talk to him and he doesn't really listen or pay attention.

3 - Puppy bitting. Yeah I know it's normal for puppies to bite since they are changing the teeth and all. But I can't make mine to not bite, even though its as game for him, he is getting really strong and doesn't know how strong he can bite sometimes. I already tried to swap my hand for a toy everytime he tries to bite but after a bit he gets tired of the toy and comes back to bite me, any tips?

4 - Training. I can make him sit (not always since he doesn't always listen) showing him a stick a ball or something he really wants, although without it he is pretty stubborn and doesn't really wanna do has i say. I would like to teach him more tricks and manners, like stay or give paw and walk on leash without pulling and so on, i really want him to be a "good boy" and I have the time to spare I just need some guidance how to make it work best!

5 - Nutrition. I'm a bit picky with nutrition, i'm afraid he is not having the best food for him, i talked to my vet and she said the food is just fine. But I wanna know if there's anything better for his health in general, right know what i give him is Pedrigree Junior (i'll put an image below). I heard that taste of the wild is a really good option, what do you guys think about it?

Well i think for now that is all for now, any tips are apreciated because I wanna be a good owner as much as possible! 

Cheers!

7505__PLA_rgb_Pedigree_Junior_Medium_mit_Huhn_Reis_15kg_7.jpg

Not quite sure where u are in the world so I can't advise on food except to tell you that pedigree is absolute rubbish so definitely do a slow swap to something better 

Energy , you're walking him too much,  rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age per walk so at 5 months of age he should only be getting 25 minutes of walking per each walk ,, until a year old as his bones are still soft and developing,  find a really smelly yummy treat and use that for training , this will also mentally tire him out which usually works better with sibes,  that will also help with your training issue 

Huskies are very much independent dogs , mine are (nearly) 10 and 11 and still only like attention and fuss on their terms , they also have very selective hearing regardless lol 

Puppy biting a firm NO or AHAH and turn your back or remove him from the room until hes calm should help (you might need to keep a lead on him to remove him from the room)

And last of all patience , you'll need ALOT of it lol 

Walks and play time will not wear them out.

Need mental stimulation. Start with basics.

I work mine now 3 or 4 times a day for about 10 minutes. Stop every session leaving them wanting to do more and on a good note.

Even having them stay in place for 10 minutes works their minds. 

E2BAD47D-1F6B-4583-B2A2-F56B5D57C299.thumb.jpeg.9c5fc5d54caef817d8120b04ad71c112.jpeg

Archived