FDA report links certain dog foods to heart disease

Jay

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-food-causing-heart-disease-fda-suspects-citing-16-dog-food-brands-under-investigation/

has anyone else read about this?  I just learned it and I feed mine taste of the wild which has the 3rd highest number of reported cases. It kinda concerns me to the point where I’m thinking of switching. Anyone have any suggestions to what food to switch to from taste of the wild? 

That is why I switched awhile ago. I truly believe that is what caused my pups bad GI issues.

Just had a lady with a Lab that pasted away. It was only 2. They linked it to Grain Free diets!

I am in the process of switching to cooked. But until I have them fully switched I am trying this.image.thumb.jpg.c92499015bb361ddf3727f349d93dd14.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.8688097760f62817a56bb06b4800ae8d.jpg

They make a lot of different flavors.

OMG just noticed that Brand in the post 🤦🏽‍♀️😖🤬.

Never mind then... I guess I will be returning those.

So I of course panicked and just texted my nutritionist. 🤣

This was her response....

“It is the dogs body not being able to absorb taurine because of the peas and lentils. The list of dog food is also showing grain food.  It has nothing to do with the food it has to do with the dogs body not being able to absorb it, therefore add in real Taurine, like sardines, turkey hearts, chicken hearts, and duck hearts. Just make sure to give it 4 hours before or after feeding commercial like a snack in the middle of the day.”

I have a vet appointment coming up next week. Once they have a clean bill of health, the vet wants me to fast them for 24 hours and then go straight into cooked.  

I am going to check with the vet before just switching them without further research.  From what I gathered, its the grain free foods that have peas, lentils, etc as one of the top ingredients.  The formula I have mine on have mostly chicken.  But I will for sure be doing more research.

This is why I feed raw guys   -  that and the fact my boy has allergies to 9 different foods  -  so I MUST know exactly what is in the food he is eating   - to the extent I have to know what the food he is eating  - has eaten  - particularly with regards to soy and potatoes - which cuts out all poultry and pork.   Hope your furbabies suffer no ill effects.

2 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

This is why I feed raw guys   -  that and the fact my boy has allergies to 9 different foods  -  so I MUST know exactly what is in the food he is eating   - to the extent I have to know what the food he is eating  - has eaten  - particularly with regards to soy and potatoes - which cuts out all poultry and pork.   Hope your furbabies suffer no ill effects.

You have been so much help. Thank you. 😁

I am so grateful I found a vet that is recommending a cooked/raw diet. 

The process is slow because of the allergies and GI issues. But there is light a the end of the tunnel.

I’ve been a husky owner for about 7 years and I’ve never been more confused. The more research I do, I go back and forth. I’ve found multiple sources saying grain free is unnecessary for dogs. The vet agreed and recommended Purina Pro Plan. But then others say vets push that brand because of kick backs they get from Purina. Then others trust taste of the wild and they really don’t know for sure if the food is the cause of the issues. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing.  

I went through the same thing. 

I was in tears posting my frustration when I started it. 

Plus my male has food intolerance and leaky gut. 

So much fun! LOL

Things have changed so much since the last time I had pups I felt worthless. 🤯

From my own personal research, working with three dog nutritionist, switching vets 2x until I found a Holistic vet, and watching PetFood on Netflix. Hehhee 

I decided with my vets very strong suggestions, cooked is best.

Yes, vets push whatever brand they have a contract with. (My vet is so straight forward about it, it made my mouth drop!) She was honest about the food they push is not healthy for my pups or Huskies in general.

Science Diet is the worst.

I was once kicked out of a Pet store chain because I was driving everyone crazy with questions.

I have spent so much time studying and researching nutrition that all my friends say I should have a degree by now. 

Think of it this way: the food that the pray eats is digested in the prays stomach. So by the time a predator takes it down the food it ate is already “processed” food.  The predator buries what it doesn’t eat (legs, shoulders, rump, and whatever else). While it is in the ground, it is being broken down. So when the predator goes back to finish it, that meat has been processed.  

So why not just feed them cooked. At least I know what they are getting and don’t have to worry about all the craziness.

What do you guys mean by cooked food? 

I had lots of issues with my pup, intolerance-wise. The only food he was able to eat was hypoallergenic Wellness Core but he didn’t like it and wasn’t eating which concerned us so much we changed it. We even tried raw and that made him sick. He’s now on Tribal puppy and he LOVES it and doesn’t cause issues for his stomach. This is grain-free and gluten-free and works well for him. And he is one fussy pup so we’re sticking to grain-free.

Pleeeeease don’t feed Hills/Science Plan. Those foods have been linked to a number of dog deaths. For some baffling reason, vets still recommend them for a bland diet. I use boiled chicken and veg for my pup if he needs bland food. 

Cooked like we eat.

I basically add them into the portion amount as I am cooking for us humans. 

Well, with some differences... pups get a small amount of organ meat, no butter, no salt. Then I put enzymes, probiotics, and omega  oil (liquid forms) in their bowls. LOL

My pups have food and environmental intolerance. Plus my male has leaky gut. (Has to be feed about every 4 hours or throws up- even in the middle of the night)

My rule of thumb is: do not feed together raw and kibble, cooked and kibble, raw and cooked together. Each one takes different stomach enzymes to digest properly. I think they say four hour spacing.

It will stress their system out when first switching.

I cannot do raw in my house because I have a daughter with  cystic fibrosis. Even if I am the cleanest or no one else has issues she could get deathly ill. We do not want to chance it.

We cannot do chicken and rice. Neither of my pups digest rice and both are highly reactive to chicken. 

I get a small 10 lb turkey whole. Put it in a crockpot. Add sweet potatoes, celery, kidney beans, black beans, green beans, quinoa, spinach.

For breakfast steal rolled oats, eggs with egg shell, pumpkin, apple, kale.

I also give them a little of my veggie smoothie once in awhile. LOL now that causes potty issues 😱

I am working on a full menu for them for when we start doing all meals. I am working closely with my vet to ensure they get all their  nutrients. 

The  calories, fat, carbs, protein, vit that I am going for are different for both. Also their working levels are different. 

It sounds like a pain but it really isn’t once you get going.

Between my vet guiding me through the amounts and wolfpup’s help I am feeling really good about doing a full switch.

The thing so far that I have learned is that grain free for most dogs is unnecessary.  Very few dogs have an allergy to grains, it is most likely from chicken.  So, for me feeding them grain free doesn't have any benefits.  Now the choice I have is to wait until more information is known between grain free foods and heart disease, or switch to a food with grains.  I have went through countless reviews and Purina Pro Plan seems to be the most reputable dog food companies out there.  I am still going to think about it and decide what I am going to do. 

Unless the dog has a gluten or allergy/intolerance, there is absolutely no reason to be grain free.

The issue with grain free kibble is, companies are using pees and lentils as fillers. Without the grain, dogs are not digesting pees or lentils correctly and this is causing them to not get enough taurine which results in heart issues.  

If I was going to stay on kibble; I would add quinoa or pasta or even brown rice with taurine to their diet. (Not feed with kibble, has to be feed separate or else there will be tummy issue)

2 hours ago, PParmar1993 said:

Yep mine has a gluten intolerance so it made sense to omit grain and gluten

Has your vet recommended adding a taurine supplement? 

Most vets only get one day of  nutritional training during there entire vet schooling. Only the ones that go on after vet schooling to specialize in nutrition know how the diets are affecting our fur babies.

We are looking into gluten intolerances for mine. She stated that if they are I would need to add taurine to protect their hearts.

Something worth looking into.

OK, so I have done tons of research and I have decided to switch to Purina Pro Plan Focus.  The vet recommended it and I had my doubts but it has excellent reviews and they have been around forever.  

This might help to clear up some of the confusion about diets/kibble/cooked/raw - specifically with taurine in mind.   

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/truth-grain-free-dog-foods-dcm/

It shows you things to look out for on the packets of dog food   - and simple foods you can give to add good quality taurine into their diet.    Its worth reading the whole article - but most of the info you guys need is in the second half.

Personaly i will stick to my raw diet.  ok its a huge out lay at first  buying teh big freezer  etc but once they are on it my dogs love it

2 of my 3  started off on dry food  the cahnge  took them as a bit of s shock   they were like what is this mess

once took a couple days to get used to it my husky took him a couple weeks to really get into it at first he refused to touch teh raw chicken food but now loves that

My Malinois puppy was fed raw by his breeder and has never eaten anything but raw

I know exactly what they are eating as i buy from a good place with full tracking on teh food.

watch the netflix show PetFooled it is  a coulle years old now but they were discussing these problems  and others with the pet food industry and some fo teh down right lies they

get away with on teh food lables. and the loose rules on addvertising and qaulity laws

I would love to feed raw. But, my daughter’s doctors said no. 😖

@wolfpup great info and can’t wait for the pups to get their sardines. They are not fans of the raw hearts yet.... actually found a butcher that keeps fresh organs that are safe for the pups .😁

Archived