New guys here, we can’t pick a name!

Jaff4cake106

Hi everyone, we really need help with a name, we can’t agree on anything! 😫 he’s a handsome little dog and just 5 weeks old right now, we don’t bring him home for another 4 weeks but we’d like an unusual name that compliments his dark colouring, any ideas would be great folks, thanks 

EAB2E508-1981-4FA3-9D81-14B4C4F36547.jpeg

How about Lucifer ..... the pics with him sitting and looking at the cam and in your arms  has a devilish quality  could go the whole way and call him Lucifer Morningstar

This is something I posted a looooooooong time ago. . . . 

Sooooo. . . .

How did you name your Huskies. .(or any pet for that matter) ??

We have had cats and other dogs before getting Koda

And we’ve always gone through a torturous process in finding suitable names.

We always start off by getting each member of the family to write down as many names as they can come up with, fun/cute /silly/absurd/normal or just plain boring all are considered.

We try to take in to account any striking physical markings or differences.

We then combine all the lists and give each family member a copy of the master list.

Each person then has to choose thier top 5 names.

We then combine the top 5’s and go around again until we have whittled several hundred names down to 5 that we all sort of like. . . .

Now we get to the SHOUTY phase. . .lol

We shout the names as if calling our dogs from a distance to see how they sound. . .coz. . .

When your dog manages to get away from you and is barrelling across the park with the intention of inserting something physically into another dog, nose or. . .erm. . other bits. . . . or. . .deciding that , that teacup Yorkshire terrier is the ugliest cat its ever seen and well. . .it just has to be eaten.

You are gonna start bellowing its name to get it to come back, stop or otherwise distract it.

It’s at this point that “Veridian Gargoyle Saccharine Snugglebunnies” sounds utterly stupid as you leg it after your dog screaming THAT at the top of your lungs.

Or if you have given it what you consider to be a suitable name for your so cute puppy. . .remember when half a ton of Rottwieler is going like a frieght train away from you, and you are shouting “Peanut!!!! come back Peanut”

Many really great names have been discarded at the Shouty phase.

So we are now down to a couple of names and we just start saying thenm to get a feel, does the dog respond, am I comfortable with the name?

At this point we end up throwing the whole lot out because one of us says a name randomly out of the blue that everone just lights up and goes. . .”Oooooh yeah”

Such was the case with both Echo and Koda.

LOL. . .

So how do you name your dogs. . . .

We tend to name our pets after our favorite characters from tv and movies.  We named our boy Floki after a character in the show Vikings, because of the mask around his eyes (and he was a really cool character).  flokes.thumb.jpg.09e757be486f6b3d824d6cfeae30a7c3.jpg332d8443831c60ba1f05e934c08a61be.thumb.jpg.67f6d328b90e5076f476e42bca35f82c.jpg

We like to read, so our dog is named after the white wolfdog hero in the book “Rumo” by Walter Moers.

Our guinea pigs’ names fit their personalities...Chester was serious and shy, Ziggy had a big white zigzag in her fur and she was dominant and energetic and bouncy. 

If I had a cat I would name him/her Sebastian or Serafina because...those are just perfect cattish names and I like those names!

Hmmm this is not helpful! Just pick a name that you like, that fits his personality and looks, does not sound like an obedience command, and is easy to say...?

PS there is another big white dog we know, and her name is....”Snowy”. My thought was, there goes a dog named by her kid! 😄 But I am sure both dog and her kid think it’s great! So in the long run - as long as dog and human are happy, it’s a good name.

Your puppy’s photo looks like a “Gizmo” to me...he looks confident and mischievous...but I really would not know without meeting him.

I also like “panda” for the dark patches around his eyes and his extreme black against white...

And yea, if he is wandering around in living room, try a few different names and the one that brings him running, maybe that’s his name that he likes for himself! ( Hopefully he will never think his name is “nonobaddog” 😆)

On 6/25/2019 at 5:55 PM, Jaff4cake106 said:

Haha I like lucifer, not sure the wife will though 😂

Let me know how it goes if you do name him that might take a lot of talking to get her to like it

Solo was named by dogs trust we kept it because it's as close to a star wars name hubby is ever going to get lol. Charlie was named after a chimp in monkey world (his previous owners called him Thorn!!!!) We've also had a cat called calamity and one called soots who he wouldn't call lotus even though that paired with her sister's name of Elise (closest I'll ever get to owning fave car). You will find a name to suit your stunning boy and then probably call him by a nickname (Solo is called Soso more ).

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, Andy said:

This is something I posted a looooooooong time ago. . . . 

Sooooo. . . .

How did you name your Huskies. .(or any pet for that matter) ??

We have had cats and other dogs before getting Koda

And we’ve always gone through a torturous process in finding suitable names.

We always start off by getting each member of the family to write down as many names as they can come up with, fun/cute /silly/absurd/normal or just plain boring all are considered.

We try to take in to account any striking physical markings or differences.

We then combine all the lists and give each family member a copy of the master list.

Each person then has to choose thier top 5 names.

We then combine the top 5’s and go around again until we have whittled several hundred names down to 5 that we all sort of like. . . .

Now we get to the SHOUTY phase. . .lol

We shout the names as if calling our dogs from a distance to see how they sound. . .coz. . .

When your dog manages to get away from you and is barrelling across the park with the intention of inserting something physically into another dog, nose or. . .erm. . other bits. . . . or. . .deciding that , that teacup Yorkshire terrier is the ugliest cat its ever seen and well. . .it just has to be eaten.

You are gonna start bellowing its name to get it to come back, stop or otherwise distract it.

It’s at this point that “Veridian Gargoyle Saccharine Snugglebunnies” sounds utterly stupid as you leg it after your dog screaming THAT at the top of your lungs.

Or if you have given it what you consider to be a suitable name for your so cute puppy. . .remember when half a ton of Rottwieler is going like a frieght train away from you, and you are shouting “Peanut!!!! come back Peanut”

Many really great names have been discarded at the Shouty phase.

So we are now down to a couple of names and we just start saying thenm to get a feel, does the dog respond, am I comfortable with the name?

At this point we end up throwing the whole lot out because one of us says a name randomly out of the blue that everone just lights up and goes. . .”Oooooh yeah”

Such was the case with both Echo and Koda.

LOL. . .

So how do you name your dogs. . . .

Viggo because I saw "Eastern Promises" and thought Viggo Mortensen was absolutely gorgeous and my boy was just as handsome.

Tikaani (Tika) supposedly means wolf in some language (my man's dog- he named him).

Duchess was adopted from Viggo and Tika's breeder after she was finished breeding her- Duchess is actually Viggo and Tika's mom. The breeder named her Duchess. I kept the name.

Apollo because I am a damn huge fan of Rocky. Truly. I think Skip thinks more along the lines of a god but I definitely think Apollo Creed.

Archived