Grooming and shaved him to even him

Bandit Price

My little guy, 2 years old went to the groomers, rather then deshedding him, she shaved him.  His top coat is gone.  I have not been able to sleep I am so very upset.  Please tell me his Beautiful Fur will grow back.   Is there anything I can do besides feed him the best food and vitamins to help his Full coat to grow back?   Terribly upset

My pup still has not grown his hair back from when he cut his chest and that was 5 months ago.

He did finally grow back his hair around his neck after a couple of months when it was rubbed off by his collar.

Definitely keep him out of the sun.  

Take them to small claims court any real proffesonal groom knows you do not clip/shave a husky or any breed with dual coats also report them to local paper/radio/local trader reporting site to get the word out that they are not a place to use

As the others have said try your your best to keep him out of the sun and also this so called groomer has not bothered to find out anything about huskys (only there for the pound/dollar) could really do with letting others no. It really does do y-head-in when people even friends comment about how much hair/fur I have on me a times and they say why don't you just gettum shaved. I don't blxxdy think so.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, Bandit Price said:

My little guy, 2 years old went to the groomers, rather then deshedding him, she shaved him.  His top coat is gone.  I have not been able to sleep I am so very upset.  Please tell me his Beautiful Fur will grow back.   Is there anything I can do besides feed him the best food and vitamins to help his Full coat to grow back?   Terribly upset

This reminds me of a direct experience I had with a lovely rescue Sibe named 'Raki' (who ended up as my all-time favorite, out of 7 or so we've had in the past). One of our Sibes passed on and we were looking for a new pack-member, when we came across Raki at our regional Sibe rescue site (NorSLED.org). His foster person stated that although he was a lovely guy, his previous owner (this is in the hot summer Central Valley area of California, USA) had shaved him! Aghast, we took a closer look at him and indeed, the previous owner, who was apparently a three-brain-cell maroon (sic), had shaved all his fur off from just back of his ears to his tail! The poor guy had an almost embarrassed look on his face in the picture they posted of him, but something about him reached out to me across the ether and I went to see him. The moment we locked eyes on each other there was this almost palpable electro-chemical bonding interaction and I knew he was OUR guy, shaven coat and all. Poor Raki turned out to be the most wonderful and soulful member of our pack and even several years after he crossed the Rainbow Bridge I still miss him terribly. Raki had rather severe 'brittle diabetes' (keytoacidosis), which required daily insulin injection, and eventually had a stroke that affected his mobility. He also developed cataracts bilaterally, but what a stoic, brave boy he was!

Raki's fur, when we took him in was, as mentioned, completely shaven and since Siberian dogs have a complex coat comprised of three distinct 'belts', we wondered if he would ever get it all back. It took a considerable time, but he did indeed get his full coat back in all its splendor, the uppermost coarse layer over his back coming in first, followed by the left & right lateral belts. When he passed on eventually, he possessed a most splendid coat that would have made a wolf happy, I'm sure! As a short-hair (as opposed to 'fluffy' or long-hair) husky, Raki amply demonstrated that husky hair WILL grow back, despite the horror of nakedness that makes such a poorly treated Lupus dog such a bizarre sight. As already stated, patience is the only effective treatment for regrowth of your pup's coat. Our experience is that grooming is best left to the concerned, well-informed owner. There are far too many people who think that becoming a self-styled pet groomer is a quick path to $$$$$, regrettably! Caveat emptor, as always!

As for Raki's previous owner, in my considered opinion, some people should be barred from owing dogs (just as some should not be allowed to breed and spawn human children), but in a democracy such draconian regulations are not practicable, since despite the fact that people of lowered awareness and perception (read: marginal IQ and social acumen) are often quite irrational about certain things (e.g. the epidemic of husky-acquisitions that resulted from the popular US serial 'Game of Thrones' and the glut of Dalmatians after the release of the Disney movie '101 Dalmations', etc.), one (alas!) cannot effectively legislate intelligence or morality.

I have attached a few images of Raki taken within a few days of his adoption (and after about two-months of hair-regrowth, post-shaving), along with several others that show his luxurious 'new' coat. If one looks closely, his 'nakedness' is apparent in several of the pictures.

Raki_a_month_or_two_after_being_shaved_1000res.jpg

Raki--15 Aug 04.JPG

Laika & Raki--15 Aug 04-3.JPG

Kalikiano_Irene_Laika_and_Raki_Sea_Ranch_2006.jpg

Raki_Nala_bunker.jpg

Surf_doggie_Raki.jpg

Raki_Aug_05-1-web.jpg

Raki--May 2005.JPG

Laika & Raki--16 Aug 04.JPG

Raki_the_Floppy_Mouth_Dog.jpg

I am so sorry for your furbaby   - how could anyone  - let alone a groomer  -   shave a husky?    She obviously does not know what she is doing   -  personally I would sue.    At the very least I would make a complaint in the local newspaper!   You are going to have to be careful to keep him out of the sun   -    he won't have his cooling system anymore.

I am worried as I found out today that Marley has to go in for an operation on his back  -  I spoke to the vet at length about just how much of his coat he will have to shave off  - at least he said he would try to save as much of his guard hairs as possible, Marley is a wooly and his fur is around 3"-4" long on his spine - which is where they are operating.    He said he will try to keep the area to about 6"  square if he possibly can.

I am so sorry for you and your baby.

spacer.png

This is a photo of just how much fur Luna had removed following her surgery for a ruptured bladder and then they shaved her back legs because she was completely incontinent afterwards. This was in May and this is her now:

a076f276faac798776c51a4766f6c0df.jpg

So yes, it will grow back, albeit not in a rush. As for the groomer, did you complain at the time? It’s difficult to do it retrospectively if you didn’t make it clear at the time that they had done as you asked I think it will be tricky to make a case afterwards. That’s not to say you can’t still complain though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived