Shedding fur

jamesfernando17

My husky just turned one and had begun his first shed as well and I was worried also with the coarseness of the hair underneath. Is there anything someone could recommend to soften the hair as it seems to be somewhat itchy for him at times. 

I am able to to just pull big clumps of fur out with my fingers...made a big pile today!!

Don’t be alarmed. The soft undercoat all has gotta go....and there will be bagfuls of it...😮

Small side note: when I switched my dog from cheap grocery store dog food ( he was fed on this at rescue) to a more highly rated brand, his fur got a lot softer. So nutrition does make a difference.

1 hour ago, Shepsky5 said:

I am able to to just pull big clumps of fur out with my fingers...made a big pile today!!

Don’t be alarmed. The soft undercoat all has gotta go....and there will be bagfuls of it...😮

Small side note: when I switched my dog from cheap grocery store dog food ( he was fed on this at rescue) to a more highly rated brand, his fur got a lot softer. So nutrition does make a difference.

I pluck mine too. 🤣 it’s addicting.... I also think I get more in one setting.

I do use a small tooth comb to get the stuck patches.

And I totally agree with the high quality foods help. 

Hi all I was going to ask "what is everyone using to brush/de-shedd there furry friends with" (it's probs already been asked like a thousand times)I am currently using a  slicker brush which is doing an ok job. In the past I have tried a furminator I was advised against using this 2 yrs later, thunder didn't like it anyway and the fur on his back legs has never grown back properly. 

10 hours ago, Dean said:

Hi all I was going to ask "what is everyone using to brush/de-shedd there furry friends with" (it's probs already been asked like a thousand times)I am currently using a  slicker brush which is doing an ok job. In the past I have tried a furminator I was advised against using this 2 yrs later, thunder didn't like it anyway and the fur on his back legs has never grown back properly. 

I use a blower and a undercoat rake...

The dangling tufts are addictive! He will be sniffing a bush and while he is occupied, I reach down and pull out massive loose clumps of fur. I look like a crazy dog lady!

I also use a comb when he is relaxing in his dog bed.

i used to use a furminator when we first  got him, but it stripped/cut short some of his shoulder fur. It also made him uncomfortable...he used to lift his head and wave his mouth at me if I hit a sensitive spot. With the comb, he falls asleep. ( I try to remember what side I did, so I can do the other side next time!)

Ps When mowing, my husband found a nice little round nest by the back wall in our backyard. It was white and soft...it was all made of my dog’s fur! Somebody has put it to good use...

Archived