What does everyone feed their huskies?

Alicia Doyle

What do you all feed your huskies. My 2 seem to be constantly blowing their coat and i feel like its my fault that i'm not feeding them the right stuff. Also one is allergic to yeast. I also feel they need fattening up. Im considering maybe just cooking rhem chicken and rice everyday coz at least i know thats safe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I really would not do that  -  there is not enough nutrition.   Chicken does not contain vitamins C, D, E or K.  Neither does it contain iodine  - all of which your furbabies needs.

CHICKEN PORK BEEF LAMB EGG SARDINES HERRINGS SALMON  
A A     A A A A  
B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1  
B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2  
B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3  
B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5  
B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6  
B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9    
B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12  
          C C C LIVER  KIDNEY
        D D D D  
        E E E    
        K K K    
CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM  
COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER  
        IODINE IODINE IODINE IODINE  
IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON  
MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM  
MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE  
PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS  
POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM  
SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM  
ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC  

My Marley has 9 different food allergies  -  I feed raw from scratch  - the only way I can be certain of what is in his food.    There are plenty of raw food shops that supply compete meals containing everything the dogs need.

There are a couple of good quality  freeze-dried foods on the market  -  but others on here will be able to give you the names - I cannot remember them unfortunately.

I feed raw and have a standing order once a month they deliver frozen i just had to get a chest freezer to store it, in winter i make my order a little bigger to allow for snow and bad weather delaying a delivery

Oh yes!   The most nutritious  fish  are herrings and sardines  -  contain every vitamin and mineral known to man  -  they are both  NOT profitable enough to farm  -  so you know they are wild caught.

BUT  use the whole fish for the best results  -  not filleted ect

Oh yes!   The most nutritious  fish  are herrings and sardines  -  contain every vitamin and mineral known to man  -  they are both  NOT profitable enough to farm  -  so you know they are wild caught.

BUT  use the whole fish for the best results  -  not filleted ect

Where do i get herrings and sardines from? I bought them some cod in aldi

I get my fresh/frozen ones from the raw food shop  - the cheapest way to buy them - around £3.50 a kilo.     They do have half a tin of sardines in spring water for breakfast  -  the only way I can guarantee Marley will take his meds

4 hours ago, Claire Clement said:

I feed mine cooked lean ground beef+ sweet potatoes+ carrots+ peas. Supplement with omega 3 fish oil. I dont know it is nutritious enough for my husky. Any comment?

The best way to find out is to do what I did for the raw meat.  Search on-line for the nutritional content of each of the items you feed - write it all down  - and see where the gaps are.  Its generally not considered a good idea to only feed one food all the time  - this can lead to allergies. 

Please adjust accordingly and check with your vet.

These % is for “working” Huskies.

For winter when they are sledding or doing some other type of high endurance; High Protein 30% Moderate Fat 20% Carbs -30%

For summer, I dropped them to; High protein 24% Fat 14% and Carbs 24%.

Seasonal feeding: 

Winter- Fish 

Spring- Fowl. Switch up days with Fish

Summer- Grassland. Switch up days with Fowl

Fall- Mix it up going heavier on fish as winter gets closer.

You can google fruits and veggies.

Veggies slightly steamed. As snacks I give them raw.

I also do either sweet potato or Quinoa.(mine do not digest rice) Pumpkin, yogurt.

If they are supper good they get yogurt smoothies with Mango and whatever else they pick. 

My pups love frozen bananas, strawberries, and my girl has UTI issues this time of year so I give frozen cranberries and blueberries. (Not good for carpet LOL)

18 hours ago, Alicia Doyle said:

Cqn dogs eat raw fish?

Yes i buy bags of frozen Sprats  they are mostly loose in teh bag so you can drop in a handfull of frozen fish sticks and they crunch them   just be careful too much fish can cause the squits all the oils

Archived