Risks with castration

bazza1975

Hi folks,

My vet has recomended castrating our husky for medical reasons..

I heard a while back that it can be risky to anethetize a husky, this coming from a husky owner, does anyone know if this is true?

And would chemical castration be a safer option, or is this only a good short term option.

Last question, will our husky a totally different dog after the castration, like less lively,.... 

Thanks,

Baz

What is the medical reason??  

Any anesthesia is not good for man or beast but the sometimes things need to be done and done right... Alpha had a non descended testicle and that needed to be sorted because the risk of cancer was way to high for our liking and so it needed to be done.

There are different types of anaesthesia  - northern breeds  need a different one than usually used on mainstream dogs.  However any vet should know this  -  I would just mention it if it worries you.   As far as I am aware its been years since a northern breed dog has died under anaesthesia because of the wrong type being used.

My pups have had a couple of  procedures done. 

They are fine during surgery, however they do not come out of it well at all. This last one was just a shot (did not tube) and it was a very long and worrying night.

I don’t necessarily believe  neutering is going to “change” their personality. However, my male was having serious behavioral issues and I pushed to get him done earlier then the vet recommended. After the  testosterone levels lowered, all the concerning behaviors went away. He remained very active and still has his boyish personality.

I do feel nurturing is a lot healthier for them instead of keeping them intact.

Luna is a Sibe and has just had emergency abdomen/bladder surgery, she was under at least a couple of hours and came out of it well, she’s previously been spayed and obviously came through that too.

Have they any idea why his prostate is a problem? I’ve not heard of it in dogs before (not that that is anything to go by lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived