7 Month old not eating :(

Isolde

Good afternoon, 

This is the first time I own a Husky so I am not sure if I am overreacting or if this is completely normal. I got Helga when she was 9-10 weeks old and I was told she was eating Chow Chow dry food. I honestly do not like that food very much so I switched to Hills for puppies and she devoured it but after a little while she ate less amount to nothing. At first I thought it was the food so I got a small package of Orijen for puppies and she ate but mot much. Now we are to the point where she does not eat. I have also mixed dry and wet food and she gives a few licks, maybe a spoon but not more. Her spirit has not changed, she is very playful and talks a lot! From time to time she goes to her brother’s food and eats a bit (Hills for seniors). She weights 33 lb and the vet says she is doing fine and some dogs change eating habits during hot weather. That may be true but I am still worried about it.

Any suggestions?

Isolde

To start with try her on a tin of sardines in spring water if you can get it   - or sardines in olive oil (NOT sunflower oil) and drain the oil - but for a pup spring water is best.   I have never met a dog that would not eat tinned sardines   -   they also contain every single vitamin and mineral there is.    From there you can try  scrambled eggs,  whipped raw egg, a little minced beef.  She will eat.

To start with try adding half a tin to her food  - then reduce the amount of kibble and up the raw.

Marley has 9 different food allergies so I cannot feed a commercially prepared raw food, I have to feed from scratch.    You do not say where you are from,  is it the UK? if so then we can recommend some good quality commercial raw food companies until you are ready to make it from scratch (its far cheaper that way).

Because of his extreme allergy to soya, he cannot eat any meat that was fed soya when it was alive, so for us that cuts out chicken, duck and turkey  - also eggs, commercially raised beef and lamb and especially pork (which was his favourite).      He is fed beef and lamb from my butcher - they have their own guaranteed grass-fed and Barley finished beef herds, and totally grass fed lamb flocks.  He cannot have any commercially raised (farmed) fish as they are also fed on soya - so only has wild caught fish.    The majority of supermarkets sell only farmed fish  (had this confirmed by Morrisons) so I have to buy his fish at Fleetwood docks.  However all sardines and herrings are wild caught  - and these contain every single vitamin and mineral there is.   He also gets venison and wild rabbit.

When feeding raw food  -  do not forget the organ meats  (treat heart as muscle meat)  -  organ meats are a dogs 'multi-vitamin tablet'    -  liver, spleen, pancreas, brain etc.    If you live anywhere near an abattoir (and are not squeamish) then this is the best and cheapest way of getting meat and organs,  or go to a raw dog food shop  -  in the UK there are plenty  - if not you can order on-line and have it delivered.

Marley usually has two different meats and one fish for his dinner,  and has half a tin of sardines in spring water for breakfast - purely so we can get his medication into him.  Today it is wild rabbit and minced beef with a whole fresh (frozen) herring.  However as long as he gets all the vitamins and minerals in say a week - he will do just fine  -  no need to worry unduly.  Just do not stick to one type of meat.   Below will show you just what vitamins and minerals are in some of the different meats that Marley gets - and some he used to.  Hope it helps.

CHICKEN PORK BEEF LAMB EGG SARDINES HERRINGS SALMON  
A A     A A A A  
B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1  
B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2  
B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3  
B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5  
B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6  
B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9    
B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12  
          C C C LIVER  KIDNEY
        D D D D  
        E E E    
        K K K    
CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM  
COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER  
        IODINE IODINE IODINE IODINE  
IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON  
MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM  
MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE  
PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS  
POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM  
SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM  
ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC  

One thing to mention about salmon  -  they are high up on the fish  food chain  - i.e.  they eat fish from lower down the food chain  (like sardines and herrings)  -  therefore they will absorb any toxins that their prey has ingested  -  and these toxins are concentrated in the skin of the salmon  -  95% of salmon that comes from a raw food shop with be mostly  skin - not a good idea to feed this to your furbaby on a regular basis..

Give your pup  a  variety of meats & fish, and you could include a little raw finely chopped broccolli, cauliflower, etc if you wanted to.

I do cooked.

*my personal opinion and how I did it* Mine have severe food intolerance and my boy has GI issues.

I fed them 1/2 their kibble portion for breakfast and dinner and cooked for lunch until their stool went normal.

Then I fed them full portion breakfast and cooked lunch and dinner until stool went normal.

They are about ready for all meals to be cooked.

It has been a two week transition.

Since it takes different  digestive enzymes to digest kibble, cooked, and raw; I suggest not feeding kibble and cooked/ kibble and raw/ or even cooked and raw together. Need to wait 4 to 6 hours to feed at different times.

Make sure you have a good quality pro biotic and enzymes. Also a good omega 3 epa and dha

I feed mine seasonal, meaning;

Winter- fish (farm raised so it lowers the chances for toxins)

Spring- Fowl and somedays fish to mix it up

Summer- Grassland (venison, elk, bison, rabbit) and some days fowl

Fall- a little of everything, heavier on the fish.

I also make sure the % are around:

Winter- High protein 30% moderate fat no more then 20% and carbs are no more then 30%

Summer- High protein 27% moderate fat no more then 15% and carbs are no more then 24%

(my pups will be starting to pull this winter so these % are based off their weight and change of activity level.)

Today I am crock potting a whole turkey in just water with a little basil. The organs will be divided up and portioned out for three days. Bones boiled until I can very easily mush them with my fingers and will be dissolved into the broth. The rice will then be cooked in that broth along with veggies.

Brown rice, pumpkin, summer squash, and kale. With supplements.

It is actually very easy and since the family eats like this anyways, it’s just a matter of a few tweaks (like bone in broth) and using a little more for portion.

Archived