Bony husky?

Sadams1214

Hello! I have a male adult husky who is 2 and half years old. We recently weighed him because he seemed a little under weight. He’s always been small and his weight wasn’t terrible (42 pounds) so only 3 pounds under the recommended weight. I do suspect he has worms and I’m taking him to get checked and for meds. My real concern is that I can feel his spine and hip bones. If he’s only a couple pounds under weight, then why can I feel his bones? I’m going to ask the vet if he’s okay obviously. But I want some opinions from others who own huskies. He eats 1 1/2 cups twice a day although some days he barely touches his food, which I’ve read can be normal for huskies. 

Marley quite often goes a day without eating   - or eating very little - but he is raw fed so I know he gets sufficient nutrition.    Have you tried adding a raw whipped egg to his food when he does not want to eat?   Or even better  a tin of sardines in spring water if you can get it where you are (you do not say)  if not in spring water then sardines in olive oil (NOT sunflower oil).

Obviosly if he has worms, depending on how bad the infestation is, then they will be taking a lot of the nutrition he should be getting.   What food are you feeding?

Floki (just over 1 year) is also slim and bony.  Like you said, I can feel his spine easily.  He's fed twice per day, but often only eats once.  He gets kibble and sardines or mackeral every day.  I think he just has a slim build, because he is otherwise healthy.

Archived