NEW husky owner but he’s scared of me it seem like

Shywolf3rd

So my wife surprised me with a husky. I always wanted one. So shy is 6 months. I don’t know if that’s pretty old to be rehomed or not but he’s here and we love him but the problem is he is scared of me. He goes to everyone else. Let’s them pet him and everything but when it comes to me he runs sometimes and when I try to sit next to him he looks very uncomfortable. I never yelled at him or anything. I consistently give him treat when he does a command. Teaching him his name. When we call him shy and he comes we give him a treat. I even have my own set of treats I just give him. Now we only had him for four days now but he likes everyone else but me. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! Understand what’s going on. 

You have said it your self ...  you have had him for only 4 day... miracles do not happen in 4 days... do you know what has happened with his previous owner?? I have a rescue that is afraid of anybody strange that wear black all over...actually scared of anybody he meets for the first time and he has been with us for 8 years...

Patience, understanding and love  -  with a bit more patience thrown in and your furbaby will no doubt come around  - you do not know his past, what has happened to him.   Take it slow and steady - do not force him  - wait for him to come to you.   Move slowly round him, speak quietly,  if you want to be close to him  lie on the floor, that way you will appear far less threatening to him.

I do not know what happen with the pervious owner. I don’t know when my wife came in with him his paw was hurt. I took him to the vet to find out he has 4 broken toes. So they put a sling on his paw for now. He also have a red eye on the same side. I reached out to the old owner to find out what happen but never got a reply. So I’m thinking foul play I hope not but that’s the only thing I can come up with. So I figure it has something to do with that. I am taking my time with him tho. I also have a yorkie. So hopefully he will see how he is treated and come around a little sooner. 

My wife say the way is got him. The owner was pregnant and was high risk so she couldn't take care of him and their landlord said they couldn’t have a husky. 

I got my girl at 7 weeks. (With her brother) They are now 15 months.

My girl has been stand offish with everyone since the beginning. Her brother is a love bug. It’s just her personality. 

I have noticed thou, since I have been the one training her she has really started coming out of her shell: with me at least. She started slowly coming up on the couch and setting closer and closer to me. I ignored her so that she wouldn’t get scared off. Then she started sleeping next to me. As long as she thought I didn’t see her. But going slow around her, ignoring her when she was close, and doing training with her has totally worked.

Now she demands attention from me and I am the only one she will listen to. LOL

It just takes time.

some addvice

find a small room go sit in it take your tablet or a couple books a flask of tea/coffee  have a bowl of water in the room and a bag of dog treats

just lay back read book use tablet  and ignore the dog every 5 mins toss him a dog treat  a couple lumps of his food

do that for as long as you can 4 5 hours without a break and no one else coming in to see you  him etc

just ignore him mostly other than a quiet good boy, want a treat   but stay on the bed couch what ever with your book

Archived