Getting them to love being brushed

AlaskaCat

I am determined to brush Alaska every day.... not the state.... my dog.

However she is just as determined to not be brushed, I want to get her to enjoy it, any tips for long term Husky owners as I have only had her two days and treats dont seem to work, she bucks like a peeved donkey.

Also please dont be concerned I have had dogs since I was a child and I am now 35, had a rescue for over ten years of all types, just normally treats during brushing work but for Alaska not so much.

02qRKAG.jpg

Maybe give her time to settle in, 2 days is hardly time at all imo, my re-home has taken a year to be comfortable with us and she’s a dog with no aggression at all. Alaska is having to cope with new surroundings, strange people, new animals and smells, I’d be nervous about someone trying to comb my hair in such circumstances lol. Maybe just do the head area for a while so you can tickle ears at the same time. She’s likely to need a lot of reassurance, huskies are not like other dogs and will respond when they are sure and not before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It also doesnt help that I am her second home, she was rehomed to me, I just want to be the best I can for her, I worship her already and dont want to screw up a thing.

I was Marley's 4th owner and got him at 12-13 weeks old  - so know what you are facing.   I did not try and groom him until he had been with me a month.     Then I waited until he was enthralled with a new toy then got a gentle brush and used that in exactly the same way I got him used to being stroked my by hand.   It wasn't a very effective grooming tool  - but it got himused to the idea of being groomed.

Thanks everyone for being so understanding, I know I should be patient just her coat came to me matted as hell and she was covered in her own feceas, we actually showered her twice, tried brushing it out then had to have her sheered, her fur was a good few inches and is now bairly a inch. I really dont want her getting that matted again which is why I am wanting to brush her so quickly.

I really really cannot thank you enough for the advice, I have had other dogs rescues we have a lurcher that has scars all over her and came to us in a bad state but this is a puppy and she goes from fine to screaming in fear in seconds and really makes me feel like I am a monster when I touch her its heart wrenching since she will be only just be coming up to nine weeks, I want to just do the very very best for her, I have never felt such a connection with a dog before.

Archived