Husky puppy questions!

HuskyK

Hello all! I'm adopting my first husky puppy (she will be 8 weeks) and have a few questions about training!

1) I live in a large family that includes my husband's dad and grandparents, so while my husband and I may not be home during the day, they will be. (I work 7 on/7off so mainly the 7 on part they'll be the biggest help). Would it be better to leave her by herself for awhile during the day or is it ok for her to be able to see them all day? I'm concerned she may became too dependent on us causing problems/separation anxiety leaving her alone for a few hours here and there when she's older.

2) Is it better to move the crate at night time to our bedroom? I don't know if change of space may cause her confusion. I will be the one taking her out at night to use the bathroom.

3) For crate training, should I close the crate door during a few hours of the day or let her roam in an enclosure with the crate available for her to use? I want to be able to crate train her but I want her to be able to roam around and exercise a bit during the day playing with her toys (outside of the time we take to walk her/play with her/etc.)

I appreciate all the help and am open to all suggestions and advice! 

Hi I think it would be beneficial for her to learn to be on her own. It will be hard for her at first as she’s never been in her own, so start with a really short amount of time like 5 minutes and then gradually increase the time
At night put her crate wherever you want her to sleep going forward. Don’t have the crate in your bedroom if you want her to sleep in the kitchen when she’s older
Close the crate when you are crate training but leave the door open during the day. If you have a busy family it will be a bit of a den for her to go to if she gets overwhelmed or just wants some peace and quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived