Curb Dominance Struggle While Walking?

TeamYuki

I just adopted a german shepherd (Sora) a few weeks ago to have as a playmate for our siberian husky (Yuki). 

While walking, Yuki continues to nip at Sora's neck whenever she begins to lead the walk in front of Yuki, which is problematic. A small dominance struggle ensues as Yuki continues to make it known she's the leader of the 2. I want to be able to walk and maybe even run these 2 together in harmony at some point, but I need to stop yuki from nipping at Sora's neck every time she begins to inch forward. Since they are leading, they are out of arm's length for me to be able to break it up fast enough. Does anyone have any suggestions that would allow them to walk together in tandem with each other?

Are you walking them side by side? Could you walk one on each side until they are familiar with each other? Any new situation will take a while for them to work through and in my mind first and foremost, walks are for exercise and pleasure, to be enjoyed, training can come a bit later when they know more about each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Archived