Mndeutsch

Aggressive behavior after spay

Hello everyone. This is Maya, and she is 1 year and 10 months old. We had planned on using Maya as a breeding female for our small scale kennel we have, but after considering her size and her aversion to the only available stud we currently have we decided to get her spayed. She underwent the operation last Thursday and she has been a nightmare since then. She’s aggressive towards the rest of our dogs, and sits on the sofa screaming every time one of them moves or snaps at them when they walk past her. She has never been afraid of the rest of the pack before, and now acts timid and pees when they come near her, and often times won’t come out of her crate. She got in a fight with our neutered male, and lost. I am afraid of what may happen going forward as we are due to have our first baby in 4 weeks, and she is the smallest husky In our house. The others have been mostly understanding and left her alone, but the tension is beginning to run high among my pack. I’m wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this after a spay, as I certainly never have. I even considered the possibility that she had been in an altercation with another dog during her stay at the vet, but of course they denied that happened. Maya lives with three other husky siblings, who before her spay she got along with very well. Now she cannot he left alone with them. I’m hoping someone has an answer. I do not want to have to rehome  her, but I cannot house an aggressive dog. Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

B2D42613-2A31-4E4F-9CAD-D16495E7BC8B.jpeg

Could it be that she is in pain and protecting herself...is she on pain medication? Wound clean? I myself would have a chat with the vet.

I had the same thought. She was on pain meds for the recommended amount of time and then added pain meds afterwards because it seemed as though she was still bothered. It’s been a week and she’s gone from a sweet loving dog to an aggressive anxious one. Incision sight is red, but not oozing swollen and has no smell, and we keep it very clean, and watch her to make sure she isn’t after it. I’ve talked to the vet, she said to call today if she is still behaving strangely and that we would have to bring her in. What are they going to do though? Is this a problem they can fix or help ease? I am at a loss and I feel so bad for putting her through this. The last female we had spayed came through like a champ and never had any of these symptoms. It’s heartbreaking! 

If the incision site is still red  then there is at least a small amount of infection there   - do you have any calendula officinalis  (pot marigold flowers)   if you have the flowers steep them in hot water compressing the flowers occasionally, then bathe the area with the water (once cooled) several times a day.   Better still if you have calendula tincture apply it several times a day - the wound should have healed sufficiently for the tincture not to sting.    I would certainly take back to the vet.

If she is in pain same as you you will not be happy but more grumpy to even aggressive...all other dogs will try and check / lick her wounds she does not want that...so by being stand offish she will defend her wound...it is major surgery not just a slight cut...

The incision sight is red, and warm but not hot like an infection would be. I keep it very clean, and free of dirt and germs as much as possible. She’s not really licking it and the other dogs haven’t even attempted to sniff at her wound. I know it’s not a small cut, as I do have another spayed female in my home. I’m thinking that perhaps she’s just taking this harder than my other female did. She seems a little bit better today, still anxious and fearful but not as aggressive as she had been earlier this week. We have a call into the vet and are just waiting on a response.