Sign in to follow this  
Jo Ugzz

Raw food diet

Hi, My husky puppy is 5 month old now and 15kg and we are still struggling to find him the right diet. He always seems to have loose stools and diarrhoea. Really concerned and currently having his stools tested at the vets which has cost me a fortune. I am contemplating a raw meat diet?? Won’t it be dangerous thou to feed ur puppy raw chicken legs as the bones could splinter. Any suggestions please would be much appreciated 😞😞

loose stools and diarrhoea can also be from overfeeding... our Alpha only needs a little bit more food or treats a day and he has loost stools...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robke said:

loose stools and diarrhoea can also be from overfeeding... our Alpha only needs a little bit more food or treats a day and he has loost stools...

I feed him 3 times a day and don’t fill his plastic scoop and only give him treats once day.......will have to see what the tests bring back.

raw bones do not splinter the way coocked bones do and they are digested  easy, only thing i would recomend is if you are feeding wings is to snip off the tips of the wings with scissors as the wing bone is really shar and pointed like a needle and could  hurt if they swallow the tip of the wing whole.  there are lots of guides to feeding BARF  diet around as you have a pup you will need to work out a diet that is 20% Bone 10% Organ (offal) 70% muscle meat when about a year old swap to 10 10 80 ratio

My Malionois was fed raw from the day he was weaned and is just over a year old now so no risk afte all its noy like a wolf goes out and buys a sack of puppy kibble for the pups

2 minutes ago, Jo Ugzz said:

I feed him 3 times a day and don’t fill his plastic scoop and only give him treats once day.......will have to see what the tests bring back.

depending on the food (kibble) you feed mine get 280 grams a day split in 2 and treats 

• Like 1

on a side note how regular has he been wormed, what is the food you are feeding  as you need a good puppy food for large dogs

Huskys can have funny tummys like shepherds so you may have to swap and change foods until you find a kibble food he is ok with.

but from personal choice i will keep feeding my dogs raw as after i made the swap i noticed. a lot of changes

Better coats, no fussy feeding issues. less poop to pick up (I swear that between raw and kibble is a 75% rule. in raw 75% is digested  and never seen again in kibble 75% comes back out)

less farts and not as stinky. same for the poop less stinky and a lot less to pick up.  teeth stay cleaner so less tooth brushing.

Also i did some research and found out that a lot of vets are NOT taught about diet and what they do learn comes from books and pamphlets printed by the dog food makers

if you have netflix  look at the program Pet fooled you will be shocked with what it shows about the pet food industry my biggest shock was that

pet dogs cats rabbits etc  put to sleep at the vet  can and do end up being put back into pet food which explains  how the drugs used to put  animals down were being found in pet food

that is just the tip of the iceberg in other cases so called human quality  food ingreadiants were actulay cheap   products from china that were contaminated for toxic  materials  and unfit to be eaten by humans and these were being used to make dog food as the laws regarding quality in human food are very strict not so for pet food. You just have to look at the toxic waste that is used to make rawhide dog chews is legal tpo sell as pet food. or the cooked ham bones that are sold  vacum packed  as dog bones in stores

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700496/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Fooled

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulG said:

on a side note how regular has he been wormed, what is the food you are feeding  as you need a good puppy food for large dogs

Huskys can have funny tummys like shepherds so you may have to swap and change foods until you find a kibble food he is ok with.

but from personal choice i will keep feeding my dogs raw as after i made the swap i noticed. a lot of changes

Better coats, no fussy feeding issues. less poop to pick up (I swear that between raw and kibble is a 75% rule. in raw 75% is digested  and never seen again in kibble 75% comes back out)

less farts and not as stinky. same for the poop less stinky and a lot less to pick up.  teeth stay cleaner so less tooth brushing.

Also i did some research and found out that a lot of vets are NOT taught about diet and what they do learn comes from books and pamphlets printed by the dog food makers

if you have netflix  look at the program Pet fooled you will be shocked with what it shows about the pet food industry my biggest shock was that

pet dogs cats rabbits etc  put to sleep at the vet  can and do end up being put back into pet food which explains  how the drugs used to put  animals down were being found in pet food

that is just the tip of the iceberg in other cases so called human quality  food ingreadiants were actulay cheap   products from china that were contaminated for toxic  materials  and unfit to be eaten by humans and these were being used to make dog food as the laws regarding quality in human food are very strict not so for pet food. You just have to look at the toxic waste that is used to make rawhide dog chews is legal tpo sell as pet food. or the cooked ham bones that are sold  vacum packed  as dog bones in stores

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700496/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Fooled

Thx for that, would you recommend a raw chicken leg without the fat 3 times a day? Is that a meal for a puppy his age??.......or are chicken wings better?

You cannot feed chicken alone   -   its far too high in  Omega 6 to Omega 3    28:1  - high  omega 6 causes inflammation.   Also your pup needs a variety of foods,  not only to provide the different vitamins and minerals,  but keeping any dog on only one food for any length of time raises the incidence of food intolerances in the future as they lose the enzymes needed to digest the different foodstuffs   Beef, Lamb, Chicken and pork does not contain the vitamins  C, D, E & K  - these are found in fresh sardines and herrings  - fed whole - not filleted.    Organ meats are the dogs vitamins   -  vitamin C is found in liver and kidney in mammals but not in the muscle meat.   Chicken is also high in PUFA's  (Poly unsaturated fatty acids) so you need to add either fish (fresh whole) or phytoplankton  (spirulina or chorella) which are only moderate in PUFAs and will help to balance it out.   It also contain tons of vitamins and minerals in its own right.

I got my dog at 12 weeks and changed him to raw immediately I got him.    My old dog had the runs for the first three years of his life until I finally managed to transition him to raw feeding.   As long as your dog gets everything (vits & mins) at least once a week he should do fine.

Hope this might be of some help to you - showing which meats contain which vits & minerals:

CHICKEN PORK BEEF LAMB EGG SARDINES HERRINGS SALMON  
A A     A A A A  
B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1  
B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2  
B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3  
B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5  
B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6  
B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9    
B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12  
          C C C LIVER  KIDNEY
        D D D D  
        E E E    
        K K K    
CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM  
COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER  
        IODINE IODINE IODINE IODINE  
IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON  
MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM  
MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE  
PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS  
POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM  
SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM  
ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC

I by my food from Happy hounds  they are on facebook  (lol just unpacked an order  today) they make 10 10 8 ratio mixes  beef, beef tripe, beef lamb, chicken, chicken  tripe, tripe,  liver etc all mixed, I also buy bags of sprats  liver  heart  chunks, turkey necks and lamb ribs  some times whole rabbits, 

I swap and change  food day by day so weeks menu might be something like this

Monday,  Beef mix  morning  Tripe mix  with couple lumps of liver added evening

Tuesday  Turkneck morning evening lamb mix raw egg (just drop the egg in a jug mash up shell into small  bits  tip onto food) squirt of codliver oil

Wednesday morn  chicken and beef. evening  liver mix some cheap frozen veggies

Thursday  Lamb ribs (half a rib cage) spratts . evening Beef with some pasta (i buy cheap 3 kg bag from sainsburys, put pasta in a pot pour on boiling water leave to cool on back of stove) so they get a cup full each

Friday chicken with sqiurt of salmon oil  evening  half a rabbit

saturday semi thawed frozen fish mackeral  evening beef and lamb

sunday skip a morning meal ( every so often i let them miss a meal) evening beef with egg  and chunk of extra offal  heart liver tripe kidney what ever i have in freezer

My mix meet comes in 500 gram packs and i buy big bags of turkey necks  ribbs and  other stuff that when i unpack i split into bags so i have daily ration for the 3 dog in the extra chunks, ribs necks get split into single item packs. and the fish and spratts seem to stay loose in the bags so i just pull out one or a hand full as needed

there are lots of raw food  places in the uk BUT make sure to check if they sell pre mixed ratio food otherwise you will have to mix it yourself which can be harder as you need to add bone  and organ content  too much liver  which is rich can give dogs teh runs so it takes a bit of carful balancing to mix yourself

I order a months worth of food at a time and have a dog food freezer  unless its winter when i boost order a little just in case of snow etc so i can last longer if needed between orders

https://www.facebook.com/pg/happyhoundswales2014/about/?ref=page_internal 

• Like 1

I by my food from Happy hounds  they are on facebook  (lol just unpacked an order  today) they make 10 10 8 ratio mixes  beef, beef tripe, beef lamb, chicken, chicken  tripe, tripe,  liver etc all mixed, I also buy bags of sprats  liver  heart  chunks, turkey necks and lamb ribs  some times whole rabbits, 
I swap and change  food day by day so weeks menu might be something like this
Monday,  Beef mix  morning  Tripe mix  with couple lumps of liver added evening
Tuesday  Turkneck morning evening lamb mix raw egg (just drop the egg in a jug mash up shell into small  bits  tip onto food) squirt of codliver oil
Wednesday morn  chicken and beef. evening  liver mix some cheap frozen veggies
Thursday  Lamb ribs (half a rib cage) spratts . evening Beef with some pasta (i buy cheap 3 kg bag from sainsburys, put pasta in a pot pour on boiling water leave to cool on back of stove) so they get a cup full each
Friday chicken with sqiurt of salmon oil  evening  half a rabbit
saturday semi thawed frozen fish mackeral  evening beef and lamb
sunday skip a morning meal ( every so often i let them miss a meal) evening beef with egg  and chunk of extra offal  heart liver tripe kidney what ever i have in freezer

My mix meet comes in 500 gram packs and i buy big bags of turkey necks  ribbs and  other stuff that when i unpack i split into bags so i have daily ration for the 3 dog in the extra chunks, ribs necks get split into single item packs. and the fish and spratts seem to stay loose in the bags so i just pull out one or a hand full as needed
there are lots of raw food  places in the uk BUT make sure to check if they sell pre mixed ratio food otherwise you will have to mix it yourself which can be harder as you need to add bone  and organ content  too much liver  which is rich can give dogs teh runs so it takes a bit of carful balancing to mix yourself
I order a months worth of food at a time and have a dog food freezer  unless its winter when i boost order a little just in case of snow etc so i can last longer if needed between orders

https://www.facebook.com/pg/happyhoundswales2014/about/?ref=page_internal 

PaulG you’re a star for giving your dogs such fabulous nutrition. I wish all owners would realize that kibble is such poor food for a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 1:24 PM, Luna-tic said:

PaulG you’re a star for giving your dogs such fabulous nutrition. I wish all owners would realize that kibble is such poor food for a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just try to simulate what they would get in the wild, hence why they even get the odd go hungry day, sounds mean but they are not food driven on one of the odd days where they get no food  they are happy not eating

also i as in the wild they will never catch the same  food every day i swap and change

On 4/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, Jo Ugzz said:

Soo what would you recommend per meal per day? 😊

Look on facebook you will find a lot of raw food groups for dogs,  ask on them and they will point you at a local supplier  and help you out with all the addvice sheets

with chicken wings  if you feed them raw as a treat i would snip the ends of the sings off with scissors as the bone ion the tip is like a needle cit the point off and toss those in the bin  feed the rest of the wings

could also see if HappyHounds  will deliver of deals with some one close to you