Getting Freya used to the Halti! !

Wolfee

My 5 year old sibe is still a puller - which comes in handy when we’re boarding but when I wanna go on a calm walk she’s a nightmare. Anti-pull harnesses don’t work, and I don’t really want her to be taught not to pull in a harness because I want her to pull when she’s got her x back one on and the skateboards out. So I got her a head halti, and it works wonders - only problem is she fights to get it off - she paws at her muzzle to get it off - sometimes succeeds - but I put it right back on, but she paws so much that she cuts her mouth. It doesn’t seem to hurt her, but I don’t want her injuring herself. 

Any ideas on on how to get her to accept it?? 

AE98E6FE-CF2D-430D-98C3-9FEF9E735C11.jpeg

865F3CEA-96FA-4BA2-8043-25CB4BDE6720.jpeg

Not a fan of head collars but dogs can be taught when to walk nicely and when to pull even on harnesses and given the correct commands know what you expect of them (both mine walk lovely in a harness but know what hike on means ) however you need to slowly condition your dog to like any tool especially something adversive that goes around their face as its not natural for them 

Here's a link I found which will hopefully help you condition you dog , just remember that it is a training tool and shouldn't be used long term you should eventually be able to phase it out and no longer need it 

https://www.taurusacademy.com/blog/training-tips/how-to-condition-your-dog-to-a-gentle-leader

2 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Not a fan of head collars but dogs can be taught when to walk nicely and when to pull even on harnesses and given the correct commands know what you expect of them (both mine walk lovely in a harness but know what hike on means ) however you need to slowly condition your dog to like any tool especially something adversive that goes around their face as its not natural for them 

Here's a link I found which will hopefully help you condition you dog , just remember that it is a training tool and shouldn't be used long term you should eventually be able to phase it out and no longer need it 

https://www.taurusacademy.com/blog/training-tips/how-to-condition-your-dog-to-a-gentle-leader

Trust me, I’ve tried everything & the halti is the only thing that works.. Don’t know why the title says Hakuto 😂 Autocorrect at work. 

Ive tried the “go the other direction” technique, tried the “heel” command technique, tried food, tried anti-pull harnesses, tried nightingale collars, tried the “focus on me” thing, tried counter conditioning - literally any and all techniques to try and get her to walk nicely - like I trained my other dogs - this girl does not wanna calm down and listen to me when it comes to a walk. The halti is the only thing that works for her. 

I've edited the title for you :)

I found the walkyourdogwithlove non pull harness the only thing that worked on my boy , used to hate walking him as I ended up in pain the whole time and a canny collar (head collar ) didn't work and he hated it so we tried this and with time and training he walked lovely,  we now use normal harnesses and I can walk him for much longer than I normally would have been able to :)

Smells drive them nuts on walks, cats, squirrels etc and they pull more when they’re going on the same walk that they’ve seen a cat etc, mine do anyway.
I bought head collars for my 2 from indi dog as they clip at the back of the neck and they’re much softer on the snout, they are a tool but sometimes you have to use them for your safety and theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I also got the one from Indi dog as I felt my dogs head was pulled around too much with the ones going from under the chin! He didn’t like it at first either, I had a lead attached to his harness as a back up in case he escaped. Lots of positive reinforcement works well, maybe try clicker training

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived