Camping with a husky

lovelife82

Hey guys,

So as the title says, I’m gonna be buying some camping equipment and gonna go camping for the first time. I want to take Luna with me and wondered if any of you have experienced camping with your husky? Any advice? When sleeping in the tent did you have them tethered to you or did you let them roam freely inside the tent? Can they escape? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Amanda :) 

have gone camping for a while with mine if in the caravan they are in a crate, tent they are tethered at all times.. when not in the tent or caravan they are on a stake out...

We've taken ours camping for years (and don't go on holiday without the dogs). Notable occasions have been when the remnants of Hurricane Bertha came in in West Wales (our triple pegged tent survived but many didn't in the campsite - dogs were totally relaxed throughout. We weren't!). As you can see, crated overnight (and stakeout line in the day)

20140809_072818FB.jpg.60191cac944f6f732c8c4c4ec3a5f955.jpg

More recently, caravan where dogs come in with us overnight (can't beat a blanket of Husky!) and stakeout in the awning during the day (if somewhere with distractions, we put up windbreaks so they can't see)

20180531_143741.thumb.jpg.5bd85b44e441a5f28c935b99379f31b2.jpg

And our first trip this year will be Husky camp at The Lakes at the end of May - can't wait 😀

5 hours ago, Markulous said:

We've taken ours camping for years (and don't go on holiday without the dogs). Notable occasions have been when the remnants of Hurricane Bertha came in in West Wales (our triple pegged tent survived but many didn't in the campsite - dogs were totally relaxed throughout. We weren't!). As you can see, crated overnight (and stakeout line in the day)

20140809_072818FB.jpg.60191cac944f6f732c8c4c4ec3a5f955.jpg

More recently, caravan where dogs come in with us overnight (can't beat a blanket of Husky!) and stakeout in the awning during the day (if somewhere with distractions, we put up windbreaks so they can't see)

20180531_143741.thumb.jpg.5bd85b44e441a5f28c935b99379f31b2.jpg

And our first trip this year will be Husky camp at The Lakes at the end of May - can't wait 😀

Awww, that’s lovely. I would never go away without taking Luna :) They are part of the family and should experience holidays like us. Unfortunately I doubt she would stay in her crate. She goes in there when she wants to but sleeps with us during the night. Anyway it would mostly be just me and Luna as my boyfriend isn’t keen on camping. So I’ll have her to snuggle into at night lol and I agree about the husky blanket haha 😀 What do you use for the stake out line and can they escape it? 

Thanks

p.s have they ever punctured the air mattress and do you take a doggy first aid kit? What do you have in yours? 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, lovelife82 said:

Awww, that’s lovely. I would never go away without taking Luna :) They are part of the family and should experience holidays like us. Unfortunately I doubt she would stay in her crate. She goes in there when she wants to but sleeps with us during the night. Anyway it would mostly be just me and Luna as my boyfriend isn’t keen on camping. So I’ll have her to snuggle into at night lol and I agree about the husky blanket haha 😀 What do you use for the stake out line and can they escape it? 

Thanks

p.s have they ever punctured the air mattress and do you take a doggy first aid kit? What do you have in yours? 

We use a proper stakeout line with Swedish hooks, anchored at each end with canal boat mooring pins - never known any dog to get off and they're used by loads of sled dog owners and mushers
c31701_ac58a49c10b74c9dbcf890dc8861bb9d_webp.thumb.png.0773f1d13124a636b5fb86663ac4dee2.png

Great thing about a caravan is no air mattress! But when we were in the tent, the dogs were in crates, so no, no punctured air mattress.

We do have a medical kit - contains vet bandage, dog painkillers and, possibly the most essential (and definitely most used!), Piriton (antihistimine for bee/wasp stings - one of ours has never learned and regularly gets stung!). We have the liquid and use a syringe so we can squirt it directly down throat (essential if the dog's been stung in the mouth/throat)

Mila, who never learns, stalking bees (big game hunter!)
_MG_5795.thumb.jpg.d604c7d2cee86c588a101c9281a30d9a.jpg

I use 2 stainless steel stake out pins 1 meter long, they go in the ground for 75 cms between that I have a steel cable and the dogs are attached to that with long lines between 3 meters and 6 meters so they can go far and wide

When we camp and sleep in the tent I just keep Harlow in the tent she sleeps at our feet. If we sleep in the back of the ute I lift her in and again sleeps at our feet. If we stay on the farm it has a caravan so she sleeps on the floor near our bed. She's not crate trained but does travel in the crate without issues just doesn't like sleeping in it. At site I've made a steel wire plastic coated 20m line that can be tied to a tree, my ute or something very strong

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

30 minutes ago, robke said:

https://hooner.co.uk/shop/rig-and-sled/stake-out/hooner-stake-out-pin

You know you are more than welcome to join us in North Wales in May...

Thank you. I’m on a bit of budget as I’m buying all the camping basics. Would this one be any good? Looks like it might? 

Ahhh thanks. Would love to but bit of a trek for me. About 5 hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Xtra-Strong-Stake-Spike/dp/B016BTFCWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=30SNHKNYZ9RK4&keywords=stake+out+spike&qid=1555179830&s=gateway&sprefix=stake+out+&sr=8-4

Cannot see shat pic you posted...

i know now it is a bit of a trek..we are leaving Wednesday morning at 5 and should be in North Wales Thursday afternoon staying over in a hotel no Wipsnade...

9 minutes ago, robke said:

Cannot see shat pic you posted...

i know now it is a bit of a trek..we are leaving Wednesday morning at 5 and should be in North Wales Thursday afternoon staying over in a hotel no Wipsnade...

Sorry, just added the link. Missed it off lol. Wow!! Where are you travelling from? I’ve never done a 5 hour drive with Luna before, even without tbh.

I sleep with my dog in the tent. Never had any problems with the floor of the tent. Sometimes Spyro want to go outside and paw at the door ripping small holes in the netting. I always have a sheet or blanket on top of the floor of the tent anyway and I've never had problems. However, I would be more worried about your dog bringing in ticks. I always check him very thoroughly before cashing in.
Also, dogs are amazing heaters.
And don't forget to take a medical kit as Markulous recommended - better be safe than sorry!

Happy camping and safe travel!

Archived