New to this smart and stubborn breed :)

texanhusky

Hello All!

I have owned smart breeds, stubborn breeds, smart/stubborn breeds, but the husky has been an all new challenge like I've never encountered!  I've had dachshunds, toy poodle, border collies, helped my ex-husband with pit bulls, catahoulas and black mouth curs.  I've had dogo argentinos, a rescued beagle mix and currently a shih Tzu mix and our now almost 5 month old male husky (along with 3 cats ha!).  And yes, I had researched huskies prior to getting one, but I had no idea lol!

Our husky's name is Apollo.  I got him as a Christmas gift for my 10 y/o son (a husky has always been his dream dog).  He became part of our family on Dec 23, 2018 at barely 6 weeks of age.  I realize this is still young.  A co-worker of mine had a surprise litter and did not want the hassle of selling them so she gave them away to people she knew and trusted. 

Apollo is about 5 months old now.  He is super sweet, not super affectionate, very smart mostly and he loves having conversations with you.  I found this forum after a google search "how to potty train a 5 month old husky".  This has been a massive issue despite numerous training methods.  I cannot figure him out on this end.  I have literally never ever had a dog so difficult to potty train.  So, I will be posting questions in another area on that. 

I'm so glad I found this place and I hope to find some solutions to potty training, any other issues that may arise, meet new people, and learn more about this interesting breed. :D

apollo.thumb.png.9ff7ff4b07cf722b54e799eeff0d270e.png  Our handsome boy, Apollo

rose.thumb.png.5b3b47719c5abd326ab5bfd4900fa28c.png  My shih Tzu mix, Rose, with 2 out of the 3 cats.

Welcome! Ours was difficult to train as well sometimes she'd go on the potty pad and other times she'd stare at us as she pees on her own bed (this happened a lot). She eventually used to poop on our spare sofa (luckily it was leather) every day for a while. Think by about 6-7 months it eventually clicked and she just got it one day and went on the lawn, we've since moved house and had no issues she just gets where is and isn't appropriate to go toilet. He will get there keep it consistent and when he goes in the right spot lots of praise and reward

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Welcome to the pack 

Take him out every hour or so , straight after eating,  sleeping,  drinking etc and every couple of hours during the night,  lots of praise when he goes outside,  if he goes inside dont let him see you clean it up (they think you're playing with it so think they've pleased you ) most of all stay consistent and patient 

I second the advice from BB&S above   -    it took Marley around 4 months and I got him at 12 weeks old   -  still found secret pee sites at up to 12 months old - usually in our bedroom during the night!    Patience, consistency, more patience   -  oh, did I mention patience?   He will get there.      One thing,  as he gets older you will probably need child-gates  - so your cats can get away from him.   Marley was great when he was young but as he reached 12-18 months the 'playing' got more intense  - so we got child gates and cut out one upright so the cats could get through at speed if necessary but he could not.    Luckily our remaining cat is not a 'runner'   - he goes into super slow-motion mode so it does not trigger any prey drive (huskies are not known for being good around small furries).

When our other cat was diagnosed with cancer  he got very protective of her strangely  - she would tend to go to his raised bed and sleep and he would just lay down beside her on  the floor, never chased her or disturbed her.

I took mine out every 30 mins or so and at night, no fun at 3 in the morning [emoji849] sometimes they’d do something other times not, I did this religiously with both of mine, lots of praise when they go outside to pee. I think it worked as Cai was trained in just over 2 weeks and Lula blue took nearly 4 weeks. You need to be consistent and as pups they can’t hold it for long. Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

My foster husky wasn't toilet trained when he came to me and we had a couple of accidents of both types eurgh lol but I found walking him or taking him to the yard/garden every hour to begin worked and tons of praise when he figured it out. 

Archived