Puppy bit my hand while grabbing his collar!?

dinfe22

What's up guys!

So earlier today I thought my 9 month old puppy picked something off the floor in my house so when I went to check, that's when he started to run around thinking it's a game, he only had his collar on. I got scared thinking it was something dangerous so when he ran near me I grabbed him by the collar, that's when he bite me and kept his mouth on my hand. He did leave a mark but drew no blood, I was seriously shocked he would do this as he hasnt done this before. I thought it was a one time thing so I baited him into running around again to see what will happen if I grabbed the collar again, he bite me again.

He has always hated when I grab him by the collar, he would always swing his head up like he was about to bite, or even just put his mouth on your hand or arm.

He has no aggression issues whatsoever, he just hates when his collar is grabbed. 

How can I get him to not mind anyone grabbing his collar and get him used to it where he no longer cares?

I definitely don't want this to happen when he's an adult and he can do serious damage when I go to grab his collar

Thanks for your help!

Both mine hate it when I grab them by the collar..they would now not go so far as to bite but they did a long time ago...we did a bit of training going near their collar nothing happen a treat and so on stayed about 5 cams away at first and closer all the time praise is also needed just Incase you do not have treats with you...

Training and patience is needed....

As others have said but in puppy school they got us to hold our dog by the collar and reward and stroke them where the collar is to get them desensitized to the feeling of being held by the collar. Mine still bites me when I have had to grab her urgently by the collar and pull her back.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Definitely train to drop and leave it, hands coming towards a dog can be seen as aggressive so a dog will react, occasionally one of mine will growl if a person puts their hands near his head to stroke him.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived