Digging, chewing and destroying house inside and outside

This is our girl Teyla. She just turned 1 last week. We have everything from crate training,potty pads, Kong’s toys, Cheyenne pepper etc. nothing has seemed to work! We’ve had to put baby gates up all around the house! We’ve had such a beautiful backyard and now it looks like we live in the dessert which causes lots of dirt in the house! I literally clean everyday! I feel like my house is disgusting! We’ve tried everything. I understand that huskys are high energy but with a 6 year old and both parents working full time it is not very often that we could take her for a walk and when we do she pulls nonstop! I have the hardest and a martingale collar (not used at the same time) and she still pulls. I found that it’s best to walk her in the street along the curb.

Any other helpful tips would be MUCH appreciated! b857cf1ed218d09b429b3d863be8985b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskies need a lot of walking, as Rob said she is bored! She needs mental stimulation and lots of exercise, if you’re not able to provide her with that you need to have a good think whether a husky is right for you. Digging however is normal for a husky that’s not down to boredom. I got fake grass put down to solve that problem! Me and my boyfriend work full time and have a baby, we make time to walk our husky

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

This sounds identical to our girl who's 2.5 and have adjusted our garden to suit her as she digs things up I've had to dog proof plants and have installed large planter tanks to grow veggies and herbs. Newly planted trees I surround with a fences. At our old house her dog door opened into the living room which she was locked in when we weren't home and she would chew couches and destroy things for the sake of it. I'd have her out for an hour at a park off lead and she'd still get bored and rip things apart. Currently I walk her morning only for 45 minutes and it requires lots of training to get her walking loose lead. We are at about 80% loose lead on walks now but it has taken lots of time and patience with her. As Rachael said you need to figure out whether a husky actually suits your lifestyle because at that age they need lots of work and will continue to destroy things because they are not being stimulated enough. You have a highly intelligent working dog which is born and bred to achieve a task

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you all. So let me ask you this, getting her out of boredom will prevent her from chewing my things up? Has it stopped all your huskies? We’ve built a tether ball quarter for her. She seems to like it. She doesn’t like chicken wire or any type of gate. So we are going to redo the backyard. I work full time, my husband works full time we have a almost 7 yr old. So taking her for a long walk when I get home will decrease her destruction?

Thank you all. So let me ask you this, getting her out of boredom will prevent her from chewing my things up? Has it stopped all your huskies? We’ve built a tether ball quarter for her. She seems to like it. She doesn’t like chicken wire or any type of gate. So we are going to redo the backyard. I work full time, my husband works full time we have a almost 7 yr old. So taking her for a long walk when I get home will decrease her destruction?

If she’s on her own she could be suffering from separation anxiety which could be another cause of the chewing.
How long is she on her own in the day?

She needs to be walked twice a day. If you’re just walking her in the evening she’s going to have all that energy building up all day

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

She’s alone from about 7:30-2 every day except the weekends and holidays. I have spring break coming up (I’m a teacher) so I’ll have an entire week with her. I never thought about separation anxiety. The people we got her from at 5mo we’re always home....

As above, husky’s like to be with us than away from us so separation anxiety could be the issue and boredom. If I’m going out for a few hours I take them for an extra long walk and leave them with a lamb bone to chew on, i can leave them for 5-6 hours without any issues. It took around 12 months of training to achieve this, as for the garden, I slabbed mine and I’ve now put fake grass down. Husky’s are notorious diggers and will destroy when they’re bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

We leave ours from 7am to 5pm on her own no problems. I walk her from 6am to 6:45am, water the garden etc then leave. I think because it's quite hot here she doesn't need as long a walk. When we bought this house it came with a built in sandpit which is where all her toys are and gets to dig in the sand pit. Different sand to the garden and generally digs here although I have found the odd tree she's tried to dig up hence the dog proofing around the yard. I think reducing the boredom and walking will help. I also use frozen bones as a distraction tool mainly for when people come over or if we aren't able to give her enough attention/walks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

We have tried many bones and frozen treats. We are in the process of fixing the yard. We got a couch from a friend and she has already chewed and made a hole. I am unable to give her 2 walks a day during the week. I have an7 year old that I can’t wake up at 4 am to take the dog for a walk and I can’t just leave my kid alone at home for 45 min.
Someone mentioned to get a treadmill to have her walk/run. Has anyone tried that before and doe it work? I love my baby girl to death and can’t stand the thought of getting rid of her, but there are only so many things that I can afford for her she destroys the kong toys.
We don’t have people over anymore become no matter how much I clean the house is always a mess. Plus the rude comment my in-laws made (that’s another story) but i am trying all the advice you guys are giving so thank you!

We’ve gotten up an hour early before work to run our husky.  For two years strong we had to keep her busy with this routine balance before heading to work.  We alternated the week experience with bike-joring,  an agility class once per week, and a dog park visit to play with others.  

Exercise is a must for this breed as well as a scheduled routine and regular interaction but after we got our second husky we realize how much easier it is with two rather than one as having a companion takes some of the intensity of attention needed from humans.

• 2 years later...

After I adopted my Mina, I was at wits' end with her destructive behavior and seemingly insurmountable activity requirements. The lovely woman at the rescue organization suggested bringing Mina to the dog park a few times a week. It drains her energy in a way nothing else seemed to.... until I started bringing her to what I have been calling "school". it is a daycare for dogs where they run around with other dogs all day or half days. No more destructive behavior PERIOD. But. No more zoomies (which we love) and much shorter play sessions. But she LOVES other dogs and obviously loves to be off leash. Socialization with other dogs (esp huskies - they recognize their own kind) has been an amazing solution for Mina. She loves going, she loves when I pick her up. Win Win.

• Like 1