Sign in to follow this  
OpeysMum

Chilled Husky

Hi guys. New to this page but thought I'd check out some forums as I did a tonne of research before getting my boy but I find alot of people have strong views on Huskies... Even not ever owning one themselves. So I'd like to check in. My boy is now 9 months old and everyone comments about how chilled he is and he really is... he's playful, will jump up and will sprint when off the lead but he's not this hyperactive, pup that everyone warns me about. If I walked him for hours he will keep going but he's also not that bothered. I was really ill recently and again today so haven't walked him at all and he doesn't seem to care, he's happy just cuddling me and chilling with the family. Does anyone else have a husky like this?? I think mines broken? 

I think you are very lucky!    One thing though   -  are you in a secure park when letting him off lead?

• Like 1

your are lucky but seeing that he is only 9 months old think that might change...

• Like 1

Ours is 2.5 and has always been a complete psycho and can see why so many people have them up for adoption. You're very lucky

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

@wolfpup

Yes, semi secure. Although I'll put him back on the lead if I see other dogs. 

His breeder sees him twice a week and says I'm lucky, he's really chilled compared to the other pups but this seems so out the ordinary that I'm on edge waiting for him to change. I was hoping there was someone out there that just happened to have a chilled husky as well so I could relax lol

33 minutes ago, OpeysMum said:

@wolfpup

His breeder sees him twice a week and says I'm lucky, he's really chilled compared to the other pups but this seems so out the ordinary that I'm on edge waiting for him to change. I was hoping there was someone out there that just happened to have a chilled husky as well so I could relax lol

Afraid not  my Marley is hyper  whenever he is outside the house   -   at home he is wonderful, chilled out, loving and very very funny.     Like Petermartin's dogs  -  Marley is a psycho whenever he is out and about.  Over excited - wanting to meet everybody and every dog he sees  -  and god help us if he sees a cat,  yet he lives with one quite happily.    I would try to find a VERY secure park rather than a 'reasonably' secure park   -   Marley cleared a 4 ft wall at just  5 months old (and he was on a lead)  -  a 5ft fence at 12 months old  (luckily it was just into the neighbours garden and they were there at the time).   Recall is non-existant  - although it used to be excellent when he was a pup.     No husky can be trusted off lead once they approach around a year old  (my opinion  - but I believe most husky owners will say the same).

Be thankful you have a chilled out, well balanced husky  -  I wish I had !  :huskyfall:

My boy Floki is extremely chill at home - loves to cuddle, lays around, and has the gentlest mouth I've ever seen on a dog!  Outside, he is a completely different beast,!  I think fresh air is his drug, lol!  I will say that as a pup, I could let him off lead for a bit to play fetch and run some zoomies, but now, at one year old, I would never be able to that.

My guy is middle-aged (between 7-8 yrs old) and is a mix (half shepherd) so I am not sure he counts!

But he is very relaxed and quiet in the house, naps a lot or lays around and watches the humans go about their business. He doesn't destroy things at all...I have seen him carefully arrange himself in the office to avoid lying on any of my papers.
He is also calm and well-behaved on walks...but he NEVER wants to go home!! If he could walk all day, covering 20+ miles, apparently that would be just fine with him!
I am always the one who has to turn for home, saying "I gotta get back to work!!" 

So he is chill, but at the same time very outdoorsy...

[mention=13456]wolfpup[/mention]

Definitely find a very secure place to let him off lead. He’s ok now but there will be a day when he doesn’t come back and they are also escape artists!

My husky is quite chilled too he’s 2

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

One of mine is obedient, chilled and calm and my other one.......well let’s say he’s the opposite

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners