Puppy too stubborn to go in crate, help!?!

dinfe22

What's up guys!

I'm having trouble getting my 8 month puppy to go into his crate on command. Once I manage to get him in, he loves it inside and can stay for hours without a single whine. He loves his crate and does not have issues staying inside. He 100% knows his crate command but chooses to not go in it, because he is so damn STUBBORN. After being out and its time for his crate he will just lay down and not go in or just look at me and decide to ignore me and not go in.

How can I get him to go into his crate on command? I've done it all, throwing kibble inside, holding high value treats inn my hand etc. He just does not want to go in.....I've been late to work on so many occasions because he just refuses to go in because of his stubbornness, he knows the command but doesn't listen.

.....This process of getting him in the crate everyday takes soo long!!!

Sorry I have no suggestions as I don't crate mine, but welcome to the world of the world of the Husky that thinks.

All ours will go into the crate when asked as we crate-train all our dogs (and most fosters) though crate's folded away most of the time (reserved for fosters nowadays). We found that feeding and treating in the crate worked for us (all food and all treats). Even when the dog didn't need to be in the crate, we'd ask them to go in before giving a treat - and usually we'd usually let them come straight back out again - the important thing was to get them to associate the crate with treats/food, even if they weren't asked to stay.

I think he figured out that once he goes into the crate, you go to work and leave him! 

So he is delaying...

Hmm, would there be a way to outsmart him by “breaking the pattern”? 🤔

or could you always leave him in there with something he loves that takes a while to eat ( like Kong with frozen treats inside?) so he will barely notice you leaving...?

Archived