Too Much Water ??

Atlas_Aus

Hey all,

New to the forum, but not to dogs, specially very large breeds. 

I am new to Huskies however and was wondering about their water intake. 

Background - 

I had a 12 month old Neapolitan Mastiff, a wonderful dog. We used to feed them chicken frames and dry food, which they loved. All 3 dogs (different large breeds) would drink a lot after their meals and I thought nothing of it.  Then one morning when I was ready to go to work the Neo was missing, we lived on 3 acres so that was not unusual. But when I called and he did not come I became worried he had escaped (not the first time), but it was not long before I found him in one of the gardens. At some stage during the night he must have passed away, of course this was devastating to our family. 

I have no concrete evidence to know how he died or what caused it. There were no physical signs other than a very huge 'bloated' belly. 

Fast Forward - 

We have a 3 month old Husky named Koko, he is just wonderful. However I note he drinks a LOT of water. Mind you we are in Thailand and it is very hot and humid so he may well need a lot of water but after my previous experience I don't want to wake up and find the same result, if that makes sense. 

PS. Before anyone asks why they would have such a breed in Thailand, I do not know, but I do know there are a lot of them here. I figure we would be able to take care of him as well as anyone else, we do have fans, ice blocks and aircon when required :)

_MG_9397.jpg

I could be wrong but I don’t think a dog can have too much water, they must have access to water at all times. He is probably too hot, what are you feeding him?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Welcome people always think it's cruel here in Australia to have a husky because it can be quite hot but they manage and mine comes from a long line of huskies bred here. Generally if they drink too much they just vomit so without running pathology tests on the deceased dog you wouldn't know for sure. As for the husky drinking lots it could be from food intake which is high in sodium. Ours at times will drink a lot at one time or at the park would drink more water than other similarly active dogs

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

From the description above, I think your Mastiff might well have contracted bloat ( gastric dilatation and volvulus - GDV) as that hard, distended stomach is one of the signs - and, unless treated within a matter of a few hours, the twisted stomach/gut having cut off the blood supply results in tragic consequences.

I'm a believer that most dogs can tolerate most temperatures providing they're acclimatised to wherever they may be, the exception being single coated dogs won't cope with extreme cold.

We have hot humid summers here ( southeast USA) and my dog drinks a lot more than during cool weather!  I bring water on our walks in the summer. You could try giving him a kiddie pool with cool water in it, or even ice. Your dog may just be feeling hot, ( is he panting a lot) and then is trying to cool himself off by drinking. 

Drinking a lot can be a sign of other health issues, but your dog is young, so is probably healthy...if worried, you could measure how much he is drinking, then call up the vet and ask...

hmm, my dog is indoors with me with air conditioning in the summer, and goes out early in the morning and after sunset. He has a stainless steel dog bowl and I need to refill it about 4 times on summer days...only twice on winter days. Plus he probably drinks about a bowl of water when out on a long walk.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Rachael_Astro said:

I could be wrong but I don’t think a dog can have too much water, they must have access to water at all times. He is probably too hot, what are you feeding him?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

On 3/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, robke said:

Same here a dog can never have to much fresh water imo...

On 3/24/2019 at 3:14 PM, petertmartin said:

Welcome people always think it's cruel here in Australia to have a husky because it can be quite hot but they manage and mine comes from a long line of huskies bred here. Generally if they drink too much they just vomit so without running pathology tests on the deceased dog you wouldn't know for sure. As for the husky drinking lots it could be from food intake which is high in sodium. Ours at times will drink a lot at one time or at the park would drink more water than other similarly active dogs

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks for your answers. Maybe I am just used to the other 2 ankle biters :)

11 hours ago, Markulous said:

From the description above, I think your Mastiff might well have contracted bloat ( gastric dilatation and volvulus - GDV) as that hard, distended stomach is one of the signs - and, unless treated within a matter of a few hours, the twisted stomach/gut having cut off the blood supply results in tragic consequences.

I'm a believer that most dogs can tolerate most temperatures providing they're acclimatised to wherever they may be, the exception being single coated dogs won't cope with extreme cold.

Thanks mate. Yeh it was what the vet had concluded also without actually seeing him. 

8 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

We have hot humid summers here ( southeast USA) and my dog drinks a lot more than during cool weather!  I bring water on our walks in the summer. You could try giving him a kiddie pool with cool water in it, or even ice. Your dog may just be feeling hot, ( is he panting a lot) and then is trying to cool himself off by drinking. 

Drinking a lot can be a sign of other health issues, but your dog is young, so is probably healthy...if worried, you could measure how much he is drinking, then call up the vet and ask...

hmm, my dog is indoors with me with air conditioning in the summer, and goes out early in the morning and after sunset. He has a stainless steel dog bowl and I need to refill it about 4 times on summer days...only twice on winter days. Plus he probably drinks about a bowl of water when out on a long walk.

Ahh, ok. Will keep an eye on it :)

Archived