Fussy husky!!

April

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can give me some advise. I have a 8 month old husky puppy who has turned into a fussy eater! I had her on kibble and mix raw food in with it. She was doing fine on that and alway ate it. She turned her nose up at the kibble so I just put the raw food down and she ate fine. I use different flavours of the raw meat to keep the taste different but Now she turns up nose up at both the kibble and raw food. I tried another kibble last night and she ate it and then I put down her raw food and she ate that. But the next morning put the same down and she turned her nose up! 

Help! I’ve tried numerous kibble and can’t find something she will eat! 

If you keep trying different food it will encourage her to be fussy, stick to one she won’t starve herself. Don’t keep her food down for more than an hour, if she doesn’t eat it put it in the bin. She will soon learn! I do think raw is the best bet, I would feed my dog raw if I had a big freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

My Marley is officially the fussiest husky on the planet   -  so I understand your pain and frustration.   He is totally raw fed  - like Rachael above I believe it is the best.

He will not eat exactly the same meal two days running!  He would just site there with the look of  "you expect me to eat this?  I had it yesterday - get me something else!  He has sardines in the morning  (best way to get his medication down his neck) - when he is REALLY hungry 😉   He gets half a tin of sardines in spring water  (my other dog gets the rest)  -  not only is it his favourite food on the planet  -  but it is also the most nutritionally complete food there is  -  more nutritionally complete than a raw egg even (and that's saying something) - so I worry less about getting all his vitamins and minerals in.     Sardines and herrings are the best things to partner with chicken  -  chicken is extremely high in omega 6  to omega 3  (28:1)  and the sardines  (also fresh sardines or  herrings) are at  1.4:1  so really evens out the bad omega 6's.    It doesn't help that Marley has 9 different food allergies - so I am limited as to what I can give him.

One day he will get venison mince (with organs and bone)   with beef mince,  next day he will get venison mince with bone broth and white fish or sardines.   The next day he will have the beef mince and rabbit from my butcher and the next probably just white fish with lamb breast, heart and bone.   I usually have three different meats/fish on the go in the fridge and just rotate so he gets something different, - and I dont end up wasting food.

I usually found that if he would not eat a meal - if I mashed up a tin of sardines in spring water into the food he ate it all  (and at 45p a tin it does not break the bank - use half and put the other half in the fridge for the next day).

At the end of the day a healthy dog will not starve itself  -  be strong and don't panda to her   (too much)   I unfortunately HAVE to ensure Marley eats something at least twice a day.    I leave the bone portion of his meals until late in the day  -  and he does not get his beloved lamb's ribs until he has eaten something - even if it is 10pm at night.

Agree with wolf pup,  too much swapping will just teach your girl to wait for something better 

Raw and dry food shouldn't be mixed either it digests at different rates which could be why she's turning her nose up as she's just not hungry 

If u do feed both I'd do separate meals , mine get dry in the morning (if they ask for it ) and meat in the evenings 

Archived