Puppy Questions

King

Just got a new 2 month old Husky named King! Being my first time training a Husky, I'm having some problems with training him different things. Would be great if anyone could give their 2 cents on any of the following points;

1) Having a hard time getting him to walk on leash, he doesn't pull to the point where I'm having to speed up, but he does a bit. What he does A LOT is simply stop and won't move whatsoever. Any help ?

2) Doesn't like to be in the crate very much. I've tried making it home to him, putting his food and water in there and even toys. No matter what I do he cries a lot especially at night :(

3) Potty training him is going okay, but he does pee in his crate quite a bit

4) Lastly, PLEASE enlighten me with some good exercise routines. As of now I feed him and walk for about 25mins at 5:30am, come back at around 6:10 and let him mess around while I get ready to leave. At about 7:30 he goes back into the crate. Around 12pm I come back, walk him for about 10 minutes just incase he had to use the bathroom while I was away, then I feed him and let him play around at the local park for about an hour. At around 1:50 p.m he goes back into the crate until around 4:00. At around 4:30 he goes on a 10 minute walk to once again flush him out, at 6pm he has his last meal of the day. About an hour later I take him on the last walk for about 30minutes. From 7:00/7:30 he's free to roam around the house until 10/11, but usually he's still way to energetic for the crate. Should I make any schedule changes?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO DROPS TIPS/SUGGESTIONS AND EVEN TO THOSE WHO SIMPLY TOOK THE TIME TO READ EXCITED FOR THIS NEW ENERGY.

King.JPG

first thing I would say is you walk him to much...5 mins per month per walk is really the norm..free play fair enough. also it is a pup you cannot expect him to hold his pee for 4,5 hrs ...

8 hours ago, robke said:

first thing I would say is you walk him to much...5 mins per month per walk is really the norm..free play fair enough. also it is a pup you cannot expect him to hold his pee for 4,5 hrs ...

Okay, thanks so much. I read somewhere that taking them out as much as possible was good in order to tire them out by the nights end. I guess the info must've been wrong. Ill stick to maybe 2 walks a day for 10 minutes !!

As above with the walking, it can affect their joints if you walk them too much as they are growing. Sure when he is fully grown you can take him out as much as you like!
That’s probably why you’re having problems with the lead. Crate training does take time, he will get there eventually. Same with potty training, don’t use puppy pads as they just teach him it’s ok to go in the house! Keep taking him out at regular intervals and give lots of praise when he goes outside.
Huskies never get tired! You can take them out for hours and they will still keep going! Mental stimulation is important, at his age that might tire him out a little bit. Try food toys where he has to work out how to get the food out, or hide treats and toys around the house

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

10 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

As above with the walking, it can affect their joints if you walk them too much as they are growing. Sure when he is fully grown you can take him out as much as you like!
That’s probably why you’re having problems with the lead. Crate training does take time, he will get there eventually. Same with potty training, don’t use puppy pads as they just teach him it’s ok to go in the house! Keep taking him out at regular intervals and give lots of praise when he goes outside.
Huskies never get tired! You can take them out for hours and they will still keep going! Mental stimulation is important, at his age that might tire him out a little bit. Try food toys where he has to work out how to get the food out, or hide treats and toys around the house

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks for the info, I started with shorter 15-20 min walks today and it seems like he doesn't stop as much unless he's looking at something like squirrels lol. Potty training is going OK for the most part, he will cry to get out the cage if he needs to use bathroom but if out the cage it seems as if he just goes at his own leisure.

Archived