At my wits end :(

lovelife82

Hi,

I’ve had my puppy since she was 6 weeks old (I know that was too young but didn’t know until after). She is now 6 months. I love her to bits but since day one she has had a problem with biting. An example she will come up to a cuddle and after a few minutes she will start trying to buy my hand. Even if I’m just sitting still. She does not listen and won’t stop. I’ve tried, toys, moving away etc. She does it a lot through the day and when she wakes up in our bed etc. I’m really at my wits end and it’s getting me down. I don’t know what to do. I thought it was because she was teething but all her adult teeth care through now and the bites hurt. To the point where I get bruises on my hand. Is it still because her teeth are growing? What age does that stop? She snarls like a wolf and show all her teeth sometimes when she does it and if I shout or say no she just does it more. Please help. I just feel like I could sit here and cry. Apart from that she’s a very affectionate doggy. Follows me all over. I get plenty of kisses too lol and she howls when I leave for work. Even though my boyfriend is at home with her. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had this experience and did they eventually stop??

Thanks

Amanda 

Hi,
I’ve had my puppy since she was 6 weeks old (I know that was too young but didn’t know until after). She is now 6 months. I love her to bits but since day one she has had a problem with biting. An example she will come up to a cuddle and after a few minutes she will start trying to buy my hand. Even if I’m just sitting still. She does not listen and won’t stop. I’ve tried, toys, moving away etc. She does it a lot through the day and when she wakes up in our bed etc. I’m really at my wits end and it’s getting me down. I don’t know what to do. I thought it was because she was teething but all her adult teeth care through now and the bites hurt. To the point where I get bruises on my hand. Is it still because her teeth are growing? What age does that stop? She snarls like a wolf and show all her teeth sometimes when she does it and if I shout or say no she just does it more. Please help. I just feel like I could sit here and cry. Apart from that she’s a very affectionate doggy. Follows me all over. I get plenty of kisses too lol and she howls when I leave for work. Even though my boyfriend is at home with her. Is this normal?? Has anyone else had this experience and did they eventually stop??
Thanks
Amanda 

Hi Amanda you probably already know but the biting is because she was taken from her mum and litter mates too early so she hasn’t learnt that biting is wrong

Try doing positive reinforcement so when she isn’t biting give her lots of praise, you could try a clicker and treat. And I know it’s hard but when she’s biting just ignore her and turn your back on her. It will take time but she will learn that she only gets attention when she’s being nice! Don’t shout or raise your voice at her

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Hi Amanda you probably already know but the biting is because she was taken from her mum and litter mates too early so she hasn’t learnt that biting is wrong

Try doing positive reinforcement so when she isn’t biting give her lots of praise, you could try a clicker and treat. And I know it’s hard but when she’s biting just ignore her and turn your back on her. It will take time but she will learn that she only gets attention when she’s being nice! Don’t shout or raise your voice at her

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi,

Yeah I do know that now. But we have done the positive reinforcement thing since we first got her and she’s now 6 months but still biting. Tried everything. Ignoring her, giving her chew toys, time out etc. I feel like anything I do doesn’t stop her. I really feel like she will never stop and I’ve got an agreesive dog (in that sense) :( 

Bindi did it till she was about 1,5 years...better still sometime she still does it when she wants something from me.... we use the leave the room method..she gets told to go in the hall, and she will go by herself, and tell her to come back after about 1 min.  she from both huskies is the only one that does it Alpha does not do it...

20 minutes ago, robke said:

Bindi did it till she was about 1,5 years...better still sometime she still does it when she wants something from me.... we use the leave the room method..she gets told to go in the hall, and she will go by herself, and tell her to come back after about 1 min.  she from both huskies is the only one that does it Alpha does not do it...

Maybe female huskies are the naughty ones 😂 Did she hurt when she bit and did she show her teeth (snarl without the noise)? That gives me some comfort knowing it’s normal lol. Also wasn’t Bindi taken from her mother at a young age? Thank you :)

My boys didn’t do it for very long! If it’s a problem maybe get a dog trainer to come to your home but don’t use one that uses the alpha theory because that’s an outdated load of rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

29 minutes ago, lovelife82 said:

Maybe female huskies are the naughty ones 😂 Did she hurt when she bit and did she show her teeth (snarl without the noise)? That gives me some comfort knowing it’s normal lol. Also wasn’t Bindi taken from her mother at a young age? Thank you :)

yes she did hurt a bit and yes snarls as they do when they are pups...but then she was about 1 year old,  i do bot know if she was taken early because we only ever have rescue dogs (she was about 1 when we got her)...

17 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Did you find there was one method that seemed to work better than others?  Even just slightly?  If so stick with it , constantly changing how you're teaching her will just confuse her and she won't know what you're asking of her 

Putting her in the kitchen for time out seems to work for a short time. The problem is getting her in the kitchen. When she knows where she’s going, she runs away and then lies down and it’s hard to pick her up 😂

use a in house lead for a while...an inhouse lead is a shorter lead without a handle sothat it cannot get stuck behind anything or hangup on anything..

I’d recommend a behaviourist rather than a trainer, if you’ve tried the other methods with no success I’d make an appt. Husky’s are quite mouthy and she’s still young, I’d have a lead at the ready and at the first sign of her trying to bite say ah ah and put the lead on her and walk her out to another room for a time out and take the lead off her. If she tries to bite again when you bring her back then put the lead on her and take her out again, do this every time and hopefully she’ll get the message, it won’t change overnight, patience and persistence with lots of love and they do pick up on our frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived