Salmon Heads

Jon & Martine

HI, as I'm new to huskies I'm just after your thoughts. My girl Tala is coming up to ten weeks old now and is fed on puppy kibble, I intend to keep her on adult kibble when she is old enough but I have pretty much unlimited access to fresh salmon heads and was thinking about supplementing the kibble with salmon heads, is this a good idea?

With salmon heads  -  make sure you freeze them for two weeks before giving them to your pup   -   they often contain parasites in the gills  and the freezing kills them.   One other thing to watch is that salmon teeth are particularly nasty as well as hard.    Wild caught whole salmon contains all the vitamins except Vit  B9, Vit E and Vit K, and does contain all the minerals (however just the head will be missing some of these vitamins).    I am firmly in the raw feeding camp - so am biased against 99.5% of kibble  as it is essentially 'dead' food   -  all vitamins and minerals mentioned on the lable have had to be put in after it is produced - and are mostly chemical vitamins, not natural  - and not as easily absorbed by the body (however as Rachael mentioned above there are a couple of good quality kibbles) .        Having said that   - we all feed what we believe is the best for our fur babies and I wont knock anyone for having a different viewpoint to my own

I think that sardines and/or herrings may be a better choice  - they both contain every single vitamin and mineral there is   -  they are more nutritionally complete than an egg (which does not contain Vitamin C)  -  and are more easily eaten by a pup  -  plus he would be getting the whole fish - complete with the organs - which is preferable.   The other advantage is that these fish are 'prey' fish to other, larger fish in the sea,  therefore they do not contain as many contaminants as those fish higher up in the food chain, as those fish obviously absorb any contaminants that their food has absorbed in its life cycle.

Thanks for your replies, I was asking the question as I work in a salmon smokehouse and have unlimited free salmon heads but I wasn’t really planning on a raw diet only using them as a supplement. But I bow to advice and shall stay with the kibble diet for now @ Wolfpup thank you for the comprehensive reply, I would love to feed a raw diet and will be doing some more research on the subject to ensure I provide the proper balance she needs

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

13 hours ago, Jon & Martine said:

Thanks for your replies, I was asking the question as I work in a salmon smokehouse and have unlimited free salmon heads but I wasn’t really planning on a raw diet only using them as a supplement. But I bow to advice and shall stay with the kibble diet for now @ Wolfpup thank you for the comprehensive reply, I would love to feed a raw diet and will be doing some more research on the subject to ensure I provide the proper balance she needs

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I have loads of links I can send you to assist your research into raw diets if and when you decide to go into it further.

Archived