Me and my shadow

MeandmyShadow

Hi all, I’m new here and have loads of questions!  First though, we adopted my girl almost 2 months ago.  Told between 1-2 years, vet thought more like 8 months old making her about 10 months now... 

Shadow greets every human with jumps and loving, but has strongly snapped at dogs.  This has made me extremely nervous, so I’m avoiding dogs completely but really want and need to get over it!  I’ve got her a harness and a Halti now, and a 1:1 trainer because I’m scared to take her to a class.  I’m not sure if she still doesn’t know her name or if she’s choosing when to hear me.  Guess I haven’t asked a question yet... so... is there a favourite type or brand of harness for huskies?  A favourite treat, cuz not even beef keeps her attention when we are out!

0F522974-E50C-4280-A092-BFBF29BE5009.jpeg

Welcome to the pack,  for harnesses I love www.indi-dog.co.uk (they ship worldwide) they have a front and back ring so when it's used with a Double ended police lead it gives extra control 

My girl is also reactive with other dogs after getting attacked so I do my best to manage it 

Have you looked into behaviourists instead of trainers ? 

If treats don't work does she have a favourite toy you could use when training her instead? 

As above, a behaviourist would be better than a dog trainer and I would also recommend Indi Dog for harnesses

And yes totally normal for huskies to have selective hearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I use the Walk Your Dog With Love harness   -  same as the Indi dog harness  and cheaper if money is an issue (as it is with me)  as for treats I found tinned hot dog sausages cut into small bits  worked a treat for my husky  - remove from tin use one and freeze the rest for another day.   He only got these on training days so they became a high value treat for him.

Thanks, I’ll look at both harnesses and into a behaviourist if training doesn’t bring any changes soon enough.  I did try hot dogs and they are her fave at home but nothing works when we’re out. Thanks everyone xx

A behaviourist is your best option, i used one for one of mine, great results, whatever training is advised you will need to carry on with it yourself and it does take time but don’t give up, once shadow realises she has new behaviours to learn I think you’ll be surprised by how quickly she’ll learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived