Eating his own poop!

John J in SC

I've been told by a couple of people that puppies often eat their own poop right after eliminating the waste.  Is this common among Huskies?  Any way to stop this behavior?

Also, our 13 week old male suddenly stopped pooping outside last week.  He will still poop outdoors when he needs to go out side after midnight, but has pretty much stopped going outside during the day.  He will pee, but that's it.  He will bite his own leash and shakes it side to side violently and will refuse to go in the direction I'm trying to get him to go.  He will often just sit down, looking off in another direction.  After about ten minutes, I start to head back to the house, and he does go willingly, more or less.  The problem with this is he will soon sneak into our dining room and will pee and poop there (and often eats his poop then).  I have to clean his mess then (at least it's on linoleum, which is easier to clean than carpet).  I'm getting pretty frustrated now, because it's is occurring on a daily basis now.  I take him out immediately after he eats, or after he wakes up from a nap, and every 30-60 minutes during the day.  I don't understand why he has suddenly decided he dislikes pooping and peeing outside.  I don't know if this kind of behavior is something they grow out of or not.  If anyone has advice or suggestions, I'm willing to give just about anything a shot.

Thanks,

John in SC

My pups revert to potties in the house when something has scared them outside. My male will when the weather is really bad too. (He hates the rain LOL) My girl potties at night in the house because the coyotes scare her. 

I would start from the beginning with house training. Use a very high value treat only for this.

I have heard of everything from malnutrition to boardom to they want to hide it. 

I think it’s common for the mother of puppies to eat their poop, the puppies see her doing it and copy. Mine grew out of it!

Regarding the biting, my husky used to do that too. I found that having the hand further away from him at the end of the lead and the hand closest to him as low down the lead to his harness as possible helped, this stopped him from biting it and I had more control

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived