Rear Dew Claw Removal?

Hummingbird

TMy 9 month old husky is going in to get spayed next week. The vet also recommended a rear dew claw removal at the same time. Her rear dew claws are loose and floppy, and have gotten caught on things in the past but never to the point of injury (just her typical dramatic reactions 😂) however, I still am on the fence about the procedure. I would hate to see her hurt, but I also don’t like the idea of chopping off parts of her... do rear dew claws have a purpose? Is it worth the risk to keep them verse having them removed when she’s already under for the spay? 

Any tips or thoughts are welcome!!

If they are floppy and she is already getting them caught on stuff I would it.

I asked my vet to remove mine (they only have them in the front and they are tight against the leg) he said no. That is something that should have been done when they were babies because now the  Cartledge has harden and it would be very painful for them.

I don’t know if he just said that because he didn’t want to do it. But I figured they would be ok since they are small and don’t get hung up. In your case I would have pushed to get it done.

Archived