Learned something new: Heartburn

2Huskyfun

I never thought or even heard of dogs having heartburn.

During my journey of figuring out what my pups allergies and intolerances are, I have discovered my male gets sever heart burn.

He is and always has been gassy. I am talking about burping like an adult that has chugged a few beers. Passes gas’s that clears the room. 

But there has been a few random vomits. All stomach acid no flim. Yellowish green stinky stuff.

The other night he was doing a reverse sneeze but it was coming from the throat. No noise from the nose. Then had like hiccups in his throat. Then throw up around 4 am. 

He acted fine other then that...

I reached out to my nutritionist and vet and both said it was severe heartburn and instructed me on how to help him with it.

Does anyone else have a furbaby with heartburn?

After reading your post, I think Floki may have occasional heartburn as well!  He does exactly what you've described, though not all the time.  He does eat more veggies than the average dog probably does, because I also have a pet pig, and always offer them both the same snacks, lol.  

Could you please share what your vet recommended for heartburn relief?

I use a holistic vet. So there are a bunch of meds you could use.

However, my pups were very sick and was put on a bunch of meds when they were little until we figured out it was them having an intolerance and allergies to certain foods.

The vet says their stomachs have been stripped of all the good stuff causing the acid to upset their tummies which is why when they are feed something that is on their intolerance list, he gets a flare up.

I give them the enzymes only right now with each meal. Until their tummies are completely healed. Then I will be adding the probiotics once the stomach liner is good.

image.thumb.jpg.757fc9621a6e362734d5f5fc4515d88d.jpg

*I was told by both the vet and  nutritionist this next part will not hurt your pup if he does not have heartburn but if it is truly heartburn it will stop the episode immediately*

When I notice the onset of an episode I immediately give a tablespoon of water mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. He is 55lbs I put it in a  syringe  squirt it in his mouth. I only have a window of 30 minutes to do this or else he will throw up stomach acid.

Since I know what triggers it, I only give it when he has an accidental exposure. But if it is a constant issue then you could give it with each meal. But only for a short time until the cause is found.

Some will even put a little in their furbabies water bowl as a maintenance thing. Mine love the taste so that would not be an issue. However, that much Apple cider vinegar could cause more of an issue with mine since his tummy liner is so bad.

Hope this helped

• 5 months later...

I had to switch enzymes/ probiotics.

Everything we ended up doing didn’t work. Finally found out he has leaky gut. (Heartburn was an early sign of it)

No Chicken (but turkey is fine), no high fats, no grain, and started off with feeding every 4 hour. Even in the middle of the night.

With the new enzymes/probiotics and Omega 3 with DHP we can go about 6 hours with out a full meal. But do hand full of treats still.

Enzymes are awesome 

With Marley's leaky gut  I gave him  Arabinogalactan prebiotic so that the probiotics had something to eat to help repopulate his gut and help heal the leaky gut, along with colostrum  -  had to order the arabinogalactan from the States.    Because of his allergies to all grains (except barley) & rice, & soya in particular I have had to cut out all poultry and pork from his diet.    

3 hours ago, wolfpup said:

With Marley's leaky gut  I gave him  Arabinogalactan prebiotic so that the probiotics had something to eat to help repopulate his gut and help heal the leaky gut, along with colostrum  -  had to order the arabinogalactan from the States.    Because of his allergies to all grains (except barley) & rice, & soya in particular I have had to cut out all poultry and pork from his diet.    

I just introduced Pork and Wild Boar about three weeks ago. He threw up twice since. 🤔 The Elk is pretty fatty too. Definitely going to have to do a food trail with those three.

3 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

I just introduced Pork and Wild Boar about three weeks ago. He threw up twice since. 🤔 The Elk is pretty fatty too. Definitely going to have to do a food trail with those three.

The wild boar should be easier for your boy to tolerate   - less grains

Archived