Puppy refuses to let me pick him up..please help!?!

dinfe22

What's up guys!

I have sort of a dilemma that I would really  appreciate if you can help with. 

......After finishing walking my 6 month puppy we come in through the front door and hang out in the living room area for a while, then when I'm about to take him downstairs he just lies on the ground and wont let me pick him up. I have to pick him up because he is terrified to go down our stairs.

At first it was kinda cute, but now it is really annoying as he does this every time we get inside the house and  it seems i'm always late for somewhere because he refuses to let pick him up and just lays there. He would squirm if i tried to pick him up and just keep turning till i couldn't get a grip on him.

And I don't want to forcefully pick him up.....but unfortunately I've had to a few times in the past which looked really uncomfortable for him, but there is no other way to get him on his feet besides forcefully doing so.

And he is doing this to be 100% stubborn, and not because he is anxious or fearful etc. He just wont get up! Nothing seems to work, not even the high value treats, pretending to go back outside to go on a walk, trying to play with him.....

THIS GUY KNOWS I'M BULLSHITING AND JUST TRYING TO PICK HIM UP!!! 

How can I fix the issue, any help is appreciated.

P.S. This is how he just stays when he knows i'm coming towards him.

IMG_0877.jpg

I am laughing so hard... only because I get it.

Both of mine hate being picked up. 

And that picture is of pure *Nope, I ain’t going* LMAO

I would try to mix it up and keep him guessing by using the desensitization training method. Start with feeding all meals and place treats on the top (first) step. Once he is comfortable and goes with ease move to the second. Don’t make a big deal or stand there watching. Just say whatever you call the meal, put it down, and walk away. 

It may take some time but you will be able to tell if he is will to go for it. If he doesn’t show any interest then move it away from the step to the closest spot he will come to by the steps and that will be your starting point. 

Do this until he will accept the food on all the steps or starts going up and down on his own.

Then there is the.... do you always leave him every time you have to make him go down the stairs? If so, you are going to have to take him down there and then hang out for a minute, then bring him back up. Eventually going through the whole leaving  ritual without actually leaving. 

This will get him comfortable with you having to actually leave.

Good Luck

It’s not natural for a dog to be picked up once he isn’t a small puppy being picked up by his mother any more, so there’s nothing to fix I’m afraid in terms of picking him up! He needs to get used to the stairs, is there any reason why he’s afraid of them? Have you always just carried him downstairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I have to lift Harlow who's now 2 into the back of my Ute because it's really high and she can't jump in. She usually lays down and refuses to let me lift her. She generally doesn't like being touched so can understand her dislike of being picked up as Rachael said

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived