Keeonah

Husky won't eat.

I know what you will all think, from the title, straight away. All huskies go through periods of not eating but they'll not starve themselves. Unfortunately this one seems to be doing just that. All the other dogs are eating and are all fit and healthy. This one will not eat. The owner has tried all types of different foods to try and coax her to eat and she just turns her nose up. She has, very begrudgingly, taken little tiny bits every now and then but nowhere near enough to keep her healthy. She has been checked by the vets and they have said that there is nothing wrong with her, as in blockages or anything that would prevent her getting food down, and she is just being stubborn. I have never in my life seen anything like this. She is almost skin and bone but is full of life. Can anyone please suggest anything that the owner can try to get this little girl to eat before it's to late. 

I have never known a husky to turn his/her nose up at a tin of sardines in spring water (or olive oil if you have to   NOT sunflower oil).    Over the last 10,000 years or so  90% of their diet was fish when in their natural habitat.    Has the owner tried her on raw foods?

I have one of the fussiest dogs on the planet - and easily goes a couple of days at a time  -   but his weight is good.     Also another thing to try is a raw whipped egg, scrambled egg etc.

What sort of foods has the owner tried?   Can you give us a little more information.

• Like 1

All been tried. The owner has had huskies for a number of years, as have I, we have never ever come across anything like this before. Absolutely nothing works. She'll take Kefir, which is a probiotic and suggested by me. Owner checked with the vet and vet agreed. Problem is the dog will lick the Kefir away from everything else. Thanks for the input though.

I am at a lost...

No medical reason why, you have tried all the food suggestions. It is unnerving but I would let her be. 

A friend of mine has wolf Husky mixes and they will stop eating completely when they blow their coats. Once they are done they will start eating again. Just a thought...

Mine are pigs. My boy has even ate his way through a partial blockage. The day mine refuses anything I will know I am in huge trouble. LOL

How about mushing food and mixing it with the kefir... I would even try wet food...

39 minutes ago, robke said:

How about mushing food and mixing it with the kefir... I would even try wet food...

Both tried Rob. Mush the food and mix it with the kefir she just walks away and the same with wet food. No interest at all.

1 minute ago, Keeonah said:

Both tried Rob. Mush the food and mix it with the kefir she just walks away and the same with wet food. No interest at all.

Wow. And cat food?

5 minutes ago, robke said:

Wow. And cat food?

Hmmmm. Not thought about cat food. What sort Rob?

23 minutes ago, Keeonah said:

Hmmmm. Not thought about cat food. What sort Rob?

Wet food and I would do the fishy types Sheba  in gravy is a good one... ours if they could would break down Laura’s room in a heartbeat 

Hi, just been informed ..ref dog not eating.

Maybe a blended baby food?

Have they tried Forthglade, Lovejoys? Albion comes frozen raw. Mix with Xcel 32%. Small nutritous kibble.  Soak so mushy. But try tiny amounts.   Or, try dry.   A raw egg? Scrambled? They could mash in an egg with Kefir.

Avoid cat food as it is higher in salt.

She'll need hydrating, with fluids, either by IV or by a spoon tilted into side of mouth to trickle in water, frequently.

Keep me informed please.  Where are you?

Hi 

Am simply sounding out...  I gather all has been checked...

Whose furkid is she & where?

Has there been any recent (or past) trauma?   ?Exposed to anything? I think constant time spent with her is vital.   Just be there. Maybe, put food down for other woofs, in sight of her, plus food for her.  Let her see them all tuck in; maybe she'll eat some too. Is her oesophagus clear? Not narrowed? No ulceration? Gums ok? No bad teeth, or a broken tooth - this alone will stop a dog eating if a nerve root is exposed. A second opinion. Otherwise IV feeding to hydrate her, and give her some nourishment. Maz

More thoughts... 

What's her history?  Where from, history prior to acquisition?  How old was she when leaving litter pack?  How old now? Spayed?  Urine & bowels ok? (as they can be given current situation)?

Any genetic or inheritance possibilities /DNA insight?

Edited by Maz51

A quick update for you all, SHE HAS EATEN. Almost 3 weeks with no food at all 7 weeks with very little. Thanks Mazz think you got it. Pining. One of the pack had been moved out and we think, although you wouldn't believe it if you saw them together, that she was missing her. Brought her back for a visit and little Nishka has eaten. Now we know what the problem is we can fix it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

• Like 4