Crate issues

steevo

Needing some help with crate training at nite. Iv had the pup for just over 1 week. iv started leaving her in the crate lastnite for the first nite. came down every 2 hours to let her out for a pee. if only it was that simple.... first time i came down she had pooped and made a hell of a mess. she screamed for 7 hours constantly. My wife is loosing the plot and i know wot is coming next if this continues for a number of weeks.

Should i continue with leaving her in kitchen in crate with a lite on or should i bring cage into livingroom and lay next to the crate? I think bringing her into livingroom may be the wrong move but interested to see what you all think.

The pup is lying here knackered and no wonder as she has been bouncing around a crate for hours. Oh i got a smaller crate which is the rite size for her and i was hoping that would have helped.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Switch the light off , put a blanket over her crate , you can leave a radio on low , and give her something that smells of you (a pillowcase, t-shirt etc) and a lot of Patience, she's only a baby , u wouldn't get rid of a baby if she kept you up during the night and they can and do, do that for months

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Perfectly normal for a young pup, she’s been taken from her family and has never been on her own before! Definitely agree with what Nix has said above, you will need a lot of patience as you would with a baby. My (human) baby has had me up every hour/2 hours since August!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Having the crate close to you so she can see you and you are there to calm her is the best.

Switch the light off. Mine now know to be quiet when lights are off now. But once lights are on they are up for the morning play time. LOL

Definitely having the crate covered would help. I have crate covers.image.thumb.jpg.08ecd8b809e52163de130c2dfe8d45b0.jpg

One on the right as looking at it is my females. Notice the bottom of the cover. She ate it.

image.thumb.jpg.1f720169439b41eeef16c2dc5983b99d.jpg 

Becarful of using blankets. Mine would pull them through and eat them. 

Unfortunately since she has pooped and peed in her crate you may want to take the next few nights to shorten the time between. Instead of every two hours do every hour until you go two or three nights with no accidents. Then go back to every two hours.

I don’t think I slept for the first three months... It does get better. 

Persistence. In all honesty thats the only thing you need in order for them to get into it. Sooner or later it will become their space, but the more you change all the time, the longer you will make it for yourself. You need to have it set up the way you will have it set up all the time. The reason is simple, if you leave the light on then thats fine, but then once they are used to the crate are you going to switch it off? If so, you're likely starting again. Smells are a  good thing, as eventually it will be replaced by their own smell anyway, then it will become their space. Covering is fine, as long as you are going to do so all the time from then on. But most of all, its persistence. It's a pain in the backside we've all been through at one point or another, but it will calm eventually. 

Archived