Puppy lunges at other dogs to play...please help!?!

dinfe22

Hey guys!

I have been having this issue for as long as I can remember, my 6 month puppy lunges so much at other dogs while were on our walk.  But he does it to play and not at all any aggression or anxiety issues, he just thinks every dogs wants to play so he keeps lunging as soon as he sees them.

He use to lung at other people but i'm able to use treats to keep his focus on me until we pass them, but when he sees another dog nothing I have or do will get his attention and stop the lunging.....Now this is a real danger to my puppy because I've had dogs that have taken his lunging the wrong way and tried to lung back and attack, so its very frustrating..

What can I do to stop his lunging, any advice is appreciated!!

P.S.  Please don't tell me to just get a trainer....I have fixed almost all other problems myself; leash pulling etc. and would like to solve this with your help, as this is the ONLY issue I have  with my 6 month puppy!

When you see a dog you turn around so he can't see the dog and keep his focus on you if he spots the dog and plays up you walk away , when he's calm you can turn and walk back the way you were going if he plays up again u turn and walk away , over time he'll learn that reacting and not staying calm means he doesn't get to greet

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

6 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

When you see a dog you turn around so he can't see the dog and keep his focus on you if he spots the dog and plays up you walk away , when he's calm you can turn and walk back the way you were going if he plays up again u turn and walk away , over time he'll learn that reacting and not staying calm means he doesn't get to greet

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I have doing what BB&S is suggesting and it does work. It is the only thing that I have done and have seen improvements with.

It takes time but works.

2 hours ago, dinfe22 said:

Hey guys!

I have been having this issue for as long as I can remember, my 6 month puppy lunges so much at other dogs while were on our walk.  But he does it to play and not at all any aggression or anxiety issues, he just thinks every dogs wants to play so he keeps lunging as soon as he sees them.

He use to lung at other people but i'm able to use treats to keep his focus on me until we pass them, but when he sees another dog nothing I have or do will get his attention and stop the lunging.....Now this is a real danger to my puppy because I've had dogs that have taken his lunging the wrong way and tried to lung back and attack, so its very frustrating..

What can I do to stop his lunging, any advice is appreciated!!

P.S.  Please don't tell me to just get a trainer....I have fixed almost all other problems myself; leash pulling etc. and would like to solve this with your help, as this is the ONLY issue I have  with my 6 month puppy!

Hi,

I’m unable to suggest anything as my 4 month pupppy does the same. She jumps and paws people and other dogs. Only to play, just like yours. I would be interested to know how you stopped your puppy from pulling. That would help a lot :) 

9 minutes ago, lovelife82 said:

Hi,

I’m unable to suggest anything as my 4 month pupppy does the same. She jumps and paws people and other dogs. Only to play, just like yours. I would be interested to know how you stopped your puppy from pulling. That would help a lot :) 

What I did to stop mine from pulling was super easy....whenever he started to pull or even just get ahead of me, I would just do a complete 180 turn and keep walking, then if he got ahead again I would turn again and keep walking.... I did this until he realized he should be by my side because he's not the one walking me. Mind you I had to keep turning and walking till he understood.

Also I never pet him when he started to walk by my side because that would excite him and want to make him pull.

1 hour ago, dinfe22 said:

What I did to stop mine from pulling was super easy....whenever he started to pull or even just get ahead of me, I would just do a complete 180 turn and keep walking, then if he got ahead again I would turn again and keep walking.... I did this until he realized he should be by my side because he's not the one walking me. Mind you I had to keep turning and walking till he understood.

Also I never pet him when he started to walk by my side because that would excite him and want to make him pull.

Thank you very much :) 

Archived