At what age do they calm down .

Onceuponadime

Hi,

My boy is now 15 month old he's very boisterous which the I realise the breed is. I take him out on two long walks every day rain or shine , morning and night. On a weekend I do longer walks on the hills and Moors.  When I meet other dogs he's a hyper idiot. Even other huskies are calm when they meet him but he's straight up jumping all over them . I've been told he will calm down. At what age did your husky start to grow up. He has been nuetered. 

Focus training (him to you) will definitely help.. 

Umbilical cord training too Research this online. 

Successdogs.com

Absolutedogs.com

🤗

I have been having the same issue with mine. 11 months. Mostly my male.

I have seen a huge difference lately. I got him into a “working harness/ Canicross” I stopped making him do a perfect heal, started pull command training, and I think it makes him feel like he has a job.

Part of the pull commands that I noticed in videos were, walk on and go by.

So I use the leave it & walk on command. He really responds great to it.

I also did the desensitize training method. Hard to explain through text but you can google it if I don’t make since:

If I go by a house and the dog in the yard barks I see how close I can get without loosing his attention. When I loose his attention I back away until I get it back. Praise him for paying attention and slowly move forward as long as I keep his attention.

When I first started this it would take 30-45 minutes to just go a few houses. But he doesn’t get to go forward until he only listens to me.

I give him a lot of excercise. He has a 50ft leash and I live in a rural area so he's getting good long walks . I take him up on the Moors at the weekend for good 10 mile walks . He's good on commands except jumping up at other dogs and people. He also goes off leash when a book the parkour. I can't run lol but have got a scooter as I'm waiting until he's 18 month before I run him on that. He is a lot more hyper than other huskies I meet plus bigger he's tall and lean probably as he's well excercised.  I don't want him jumping up even though it's out of friendlyness as it's  bad. Plus he's very strong to hold back. 

Have you tried the old fashion step on the leash? 

They also have a pressure point between their front legs on the chest. I personally don’t like this one.

Do you have friends that would be willing to help you? (Get jumped on LOL) start with humans first then once they are good with that do it with a friend’s dog that will tolerate it.

I would also advise people to not pay any attention to him. Turn away until all four are on the ground. Then say hello, when he jumps back up turn again until he understands.

My family thought it was sooo cute letting the pups jump up to say hi. But now they are big and they don’t like it anymore. Hehhee used to ask why they never jump on me.... because I ignored them when I came into the house or even into the room until they were calm.

5 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Have you tried the old fashion step on the leash? 

They also have a pressure point between their front legs on the chest. I personally don’t like this one.

Do you have friends that would be willing to help you? (Get jumped on LOL) start with humans first then once they are good with that do it with a friend’s dog that will tolerate it.

I would also advise people to not pay any attention to him. Turn away until all four are on the ground. Then say hello, when he jumps back up turn again until he understands.

My family thought it was sooo cute letting the pups jump up to say hi. But now they are big and they don’t like it anymore. Hehhee used to ask why they never jump on me.... because I ignored them when I came into the house or even into the room until they were calm.

Yes I told relatives not to let him jump up they have learned the 65 pound hard way lol.

1 hour ago, 2Huskyfun said:

I have been having the same issue with mine. 11 months. Mostly my male.

I have seen a huge difference lately. I got him into a “working harness/ Canicross” I stopped making him do a perfect heal, started pull command training, and I think it makes him feel like he has a job.

Part of the pull commands that I noticed in videos were, walk on and go by.

So I use the leave it & walk on command. He really responds great to it.

I also did the desensitize training method. Hard to explain through text but you can google it if I don’t make since:

If I go by a house and the dog in the yard barks I see how close I can get without loosing his attention. When I loose his attention I back away until I get it back. Praise him for paying attention and slowly move forward as long as I keep his attention.

When I first started this it would take 30-45 minutes to just go a few houses. But he doesn’t get to go forward until he only listens to me.

That is absolutely right!  Well done.  It's like, slow, slow with any / all new stuff. 

We ourselves can get used to many things because we can rationalise. 

Dogs need to learn through repetition that what might be threatening or scary because it is NEW can then become the norm, after repeated exposure, for it to become ...

'Oh that!  No worries, because it's  no threat!'

Archived