New Puppy and Growling

KKWinOK

Hi, I just got a new husky puppy this evening. She’s pretty shy but is settling in. I don’t have a name yet but the breeder called her Hannah. She’s so pretty! But I have a question: I have a Yorkie who is curious but a bit enthusiastic. Hannah has growled a few times at Bella when she approaches. Hannah lunged at her and I think she was showing her teeth. With all of the puppies I’ve raised I’ve never seen this before. I know everything in Hannah’s world has turned upside down but I want to ensure that Hannah gets along with Bella as well as Miska (my husky/Pyrenees mix). What am I to make of this? What should be my response? Thanks!

IMG_2659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just got done with her at my vet and he thinks it was resource guarding (I was the resource) and I agree. That’s what thought after giving it some time. The times she reacted that way towards Bella was when she was around my feet. I know it’s crazy for her right now. He recommended that when I give them attention to do them at the same time. She’s so shy and I don’t think I’ve ever had a puppy this shy. I’m definitely planning on socializing her for sure!

Bless her she's probably very overwhelmed , and if she's attached herself to you, your vet is probably right, keep us updated on your progress , it could be very valuable to other/ new members , I've never dealt with resource guarding so it would be nice to point people in the right direction :)

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I would not argue with the vet   -  or your instincts   - but maybe after she has been with you a week or two she will settle down

That’s what I’m hoping for. It just surprised me because I’ve never seen this before. I’ve raised 3 yorkies, a husky/Pyrenees mix, had a husky puppy until 6 months, an eskie, and never seen this before. I was wondering what it was and what to do. I appreciate the input.

So far what I’ve observed is that everyone has calmed down and Hannah is more relaxed. Now she tries to play with Bella and Bella’s like “wait a minute, didn’t you get snippy with me?” Bella is much more balanced around Hannah and if Hannah tries to get too rough Bella lets her know. I’m letting them work it out (unless it’s what I saw last night). Things are way better today!

Glad to hear it is getting better.

My male doesn’t like his sister getting attention. I created that.... not on purpose, he was just so much more of a handful and she did not attach to anyone in the house and hated attention until she was about 8 months. Now she loves attention and he gets upset. 

I just ignore both of them until they settle down. Then give equal attention.

Glad to hear it is getting better.

My male doesn’t like his sister getting attention. I created that.... not on purpose, he was just so much more of a handful and she did not attach to anyone in the house and hated attention until she was about 8 months. Now she loves attention and he gets upset. 

I just ignore both of them until they settle down. Then give equal attention.

That sounds like good advice. I never expected to be the middle man and I hate that it’s between the puppy and my yorkie. Hannah did it again earlier but I calmly pushed her away from me. I’m not sure if that’s the right answer. She just growled at Miska too. I’d hate for her to grow up and have problems. Hannah is pretty clingy and probably insecure too. It still has me concerned though.

I am not sure how to handle that. Mine don’t growl or anything. They just scream, jump, and mouth each other. Trying to push each other out of the way. 

All I do know is I have had to be very careful correcting my male. He is in the (I’ll show you) stage.

It is concerning that she is like this at such a young age. Definitely get a handle on it while she is still a baby. I have a behaviorist coming to my house on Monday to give some guidance on some issues that has came up recently. 

If you decide to go with a behaviorist make sure they know Husky behavior.

It is concerning that she is like this at such a young age.

My vet said the same thing. This has me a bit worried. I honestly expected her to maybe want to play too rough but not resource guarding me.

I have been thinking back to all the aggressive dogs I have taken in in the past.

The issue is, they were either close to a year or well over a year and there was a cause for the behavior. If you know the cause you have the remedy.

I had 4 very large aggressive dogs all different breeds at one time. At one point in time. I got all of them at different times and different ages. *hope that made since LOL* I only had issues with two females fighting each other. Easy fix was they were separated when I left for work. When I was home they wouldn’t dare act nasty.

I always gave each dog their own space (open door crate in different parts of the house) each dog was trained to stay out of the others. My kids 5 and 3 at the time were taught to stay away from the dogs when they were in their crates. Each dog had their own toys and were worked independently. 

During relaxation time, I really didn’t give them attention. I did my thing and they did theirs.

They were never allowed on the couch or beds. That was earned and only towards the end. I think it helped with eliminating jealousy. 

When I left or came home, I didn’t say anything or do anything (greetings)(besides keeping the two females separated before I left.)

But they were Rotty, German Shepherd, wolf mix, and a Lab mix. 

Huskies are completely different and I am a first time Husky owner. Plus mine are the first actual pups I have had in 20 years. 

Rasing pups sure has changed... 

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. After giving this some thought and prayer, I decided to take the puppy back to the breeder. She is an AKC breeder but I honestly believe that the puppies were pulled too soon form the dam. I don’t know when but I suspect it was around week 7 or so. I just didn’t have the bandwidth to work on this particular behavioral issue but was willing to raise a puppy, as hard as it can be. I did this for the benefit of everyone and for the puppy as well so she can get placed into a home that can work with her. I communicated this to the breeder. I hope I made the right decision. I still want a husky and I’m considering adopting an older one now. Thanks again!

Archived