Tired-New Husky Momma-

Jaidas Momma

Hello to all,  Im a single morher with a 10 year old awsome daughter. Thanksgiving day I decided that We needed an animal as I have been so lonely after our cat was killed in August.  I started really looking and was unsure of what I really wanted. I wanted to rescue but also I wanted a brand new baby. An oppurtunity had opened up and I saw a friend on next door neighbor app post a “rehome 9week husky”. I set up the time for a meet and greet. I started watching utube videos and trying to research the internet. After a few hours of that I thought “oh my god”  no way!  I called and cancelled the meet and greet and after hanging up I found myself crying.  First I thought what the heck is wrong with me,  im nuts!!!  

I called the meet and greet back a few hours later and agreeded to me her. You can see....Im here with the husky group for a reason....She came home with me that night.  Holy Moly,  I am worn worn out with this girl.   Im in love,  she is smart, but she has a little bit of sas.  She is rebellious and is testing her limits.

She goes for her 3set of shots tomorrow. I want to take her out to run but parvo outbreaks are bad in my county.  Her health is first. 

She is digging,  she is running thru the house 100 mph. She keeps nipping at us and at guest.  Ripping our clothes. She is crate trained. Great at night.  Bad durning the day. She is going backwards with the potty training (which is really pissing me off)  she is a thief,  which it was funny til she got my carlos santana heel at chewed the crap out of it,   She has the worst gas I almost throw up. I blame my daughter and she cries cuz I dont believe her. She sits. She shakes she lays down and she fetches balls and drops.  Yesterday she all of a sudden jumped in the shower with me I got out and she chased her tail for in the bathtub for a good 45 mins.  Oh my....that was a good laugh.  I look forward to discussing guidance from you all.  I am proud to be a nee husky momma to Jaida ALicen.

Michelle Fogle

Bakersfield CA usa

6A6D0B1A-8903-4299-B857-8727731DC4F8.jpeg

9814D909-9DB9-487A-ACE1-2396CD4F8229.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum. She’s gorgeous. Love her different eye colours. 

I have recently gone through exactly what you are going through with my puppy Luna. We got her at nearly 6 weeks old and I have cried, felt like I was going mad and thought that getting her was a mistake. She was biting, leaving cuts all over my hands and face, she constantly needed attention and put a strain on my relationship with my boyfriend. However she is now 15 weeks old and the majority of the biting has stopped, I get way more kisses and she’s just a fluffy cuddle monster lol. I love her to bits and couldn’t imagine life without her. She has so much personality.

No way am I experienced in husky ownership but just some advice from what worked with me. Don’t shout or use any force with her. Use positive reinforcement. Whenever she bit I would give her a toy to bite and praise her. When she got to much, I put her in the kitchen in timeout. She cried for a while but now when I put her in she is silent and comes out after a few minutes calmed down. Since yours is a puppy then I wouldn’t recommend running with her. Too strenuous on their growing joints. The rule is, 5 minutes of exercise per month of their age. So walk her for 10 mins a day outside or 15 when she’s 3 months etc. I would recommend taking her outside (carrying her until she’s had her jabs and can go outside). Getting her used to noise, smells, other people. If you can then take her to puppy class. Also teach her to wait, leave, sit etc. Use treats. She will pick it up quickly. Luna at 12 weeks could sit, give both paws, wait, go in basket, lie down etc. 

It feels like a bad decision at the minute for you but stick with it and she will get much better and will make the best companion. Huskies are amazing dogs but for first time owners, they can be overwhelming.

Any other questions then just ask.

Oh and one more thing. You will want to feed her good quality food. A lot of food is bad for huskies. Stay away from anything that contains wheat, grain, beet pulp etc. They are fillers and no good for your fur baby. I feed mine on puppy Taste of the Wild. One of the best food you can get. Not the cheapest but well worth it in the long run.

Post some more pics and hello from me and Luna :)

Thanks

Amanda 

p.s you won’t believe hope quickly she will grow lol. Pic of Luna now at 15 weeks and at 7 weeks haha :) 

2EE433E9-A728-4400-BD1D-4DBB1FF24F85.jpeg

7654B550-9E2E-483F-8CAE-79549FE4D12B.jpeg

On 1/7/2019 at 1:41 AM, lovelife82 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. She’s gorgeous. Love her different eye colours. 

I have recently gone through exactly what you are going through with my puppy Luna. We got her at nearly 6 weeks old and I have cried, felt like I was going mad and thought that getting her was a mistake. She was biting, leaving cuts all over my hands and face, she constantly needed attention and put a strain on my relationship with my boyfriend. However she is now 15 weeks old and the majority of the biting has stopped, I get way more kisses and she’s just a fluffy cuddle monster lol. I love her to bits and couldn’t imagine life without her. She has so much personality.

No way am I experienced in husky ownership but just some advice from what worked with me. Don’t shout or use any force with her. Use positive reinforcement. Whenever she bit I would give her a toy to bite and praise her. When she got to much, I put her in the kitchen in timeout. She cried for a while but now when I put her in she is silent and comes out after a few minutes calmed down. Since yours is a puppy then I wouldn’t recommend running with her. Too strenuous on their growing joints. The rule is, 5 minutes of exercise per month of their age. So walk her for 10 mins a day outside or 15 when she’s 3 months etc. I would recommend taking her outside (carrying her until she’s had her jabs and can go outside). Getting her used to noise, smells, other people. If you can then take her to puppy class. Also teach her to wait, leave, sit etc. Use treats. She will pick it up quickly. Luna at 12 weeks could sit, give both paws, wait, go in basket, lie down etc. 

It feels like a bad decision at the minute for you but stick with it and she will get much better and will make the best companion. Huskies are amazing dogs but for first time owners, they can be overwhelming.

Any other questions then just ask.

Oh and one more thing. You will want to feed her good quality food. A lot of food is bad for huskies. Stay away from anything that contains wheat, grain, beet pulp etc. They are fillers and no good for your fur baby. I feed mine on puppy Taste of the Wild. One of the best food you can get. Not the cheapest but well worth it in the long run.

Post some more pics and hello from me and Luna :)

Thanks

Amanda 

p.s you won’t believe hope quickly she will grow lol. Pic of Luna now at 15 weeks and at 7 weeks haha :) 

2EE433E9-A728-4400-BD1D-4DBB1FF24F85.jpeg

7654B550-9E2E-483F-8CAE-79549FE4D12B.jpeg

Welcome it's very challenging. I always retell the story of me coming home in the middle of summer to find poos on our ottamen in the living room. It's difficult at that age and it's very tiring. Stick with it and give her the best chance she can because they are very smart and once trained properly will be a great companion

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I’d have to say be prepared for the long haul with training, I didn’t sleep much for the first year. They are high maintenance and what you’re describing is pretty much typical husky behaviour, positive reinforced training with lots of praise, no shouting it will make your pup nervous. Husky’s require mental stimulation aswell as physical, it can be a little overwhelming when they’re pups but stick with it and deal with each issue one at a time, time outs work well because they don’t like to be away from us for too long. Digging is also typical, I ended up slabbing my garden as both of mine pretty much destroyed it, now I’ve put fake grass down and they love it. I took my 2 out every 20-30 mins when potty training, during the night also, sometimes they’d pee and poop sometimes not but when they did, lots of praise and a treat, Cai was trained in 2 weeks, Luka blue around 3-4 weeks. If you feel she’s going backwards with this then start with the basics again, she will get there. She will frustrate you and exhaust you but stick with the training and it will click and when it does you’ll have the best companion, they really are priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Welcome.

Been there times two.

Mine are 10 months. They will be great for a time and then go backwards for a bit and then be fine again. LOL 

These guys have very high rehoming rates (at least where I live) please don’t give up. I thought a couple of times that I couldn’t do it and was going to rehome. But stuck it and these are my babies and I will not give up on them.

Puppy proof, kiddy gates, and lots of training.

Walk only at this age. 5 minutes per month old a couple of times a day. I was taking mine out 3x a day for 20 minutes at a time for lite walks.

They do not eat as much as regular dogs and it has to be a good brand of food. 

They are very smart and will test you.

Make sure she is not chewing on stuff that she will swallow and cause a blockage! My girl sneaks things all the time and we have had to go the the vets a lots for removing foreign objects.

Keep up on training, be patient, no scolding, reward good behavior.

You have your hands full but it will get better. And it is worth it.

Welcome.
Been there times two.
Mine are 10 months. They will be great for a time and then go backwards for a bit and then be fine again. LOL 
These guys have very high rehoming rates (at least where I live) please don’t give up. I thought a couple of times that I couldn’t do it and was going to rehome. But stuck it and these are my babies and I will not give up on them.
Puppy proof, kiddy gates, and lots of training.
Walk only at this age. 5 minutes per month old a couple of times a day. I was taking mine out 3x a day for 20 minutes at a time for lite walks.
They do not eat as much as regular dogs and it has to be a good brand of food. 
They are very smart and will test you.
Make sure she is not chewing on stuff that she will swallow and cause a blockage! My girl sneaks things all the time and we have had to go the the vets a lots for removing foreign objects.
Keep up on training, be patient, no scolding, reward good behavior.
 You have your hands full but it will get better. And it is worth it.
Wait until yours turn 1 it's like the terrible 2's, tantrums, being naughty for the sake of it and just generally not listening [emoji28] then they come good again, except they never truly listen well they do but they choose to do whatever they want. There aren't many huskies here but there are a lot up for adoption and I can understand why. Once you figure each other out and have routine it'll be easier and you'll get the most from them

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• 1 month later...

Wow I hope my dog stays the way he is. Hearing all these details of problems. I don’t know if I’m lucky or what. But my 5 month old puppy is doing great. He was biting a lot when he was like three months old but seems a lot better now. I never played rough with him and never let him bite my hands, ever! When he would get to where he wants to bite everything I would put a chew toy in his mouth. And then pet him. He’s five months old and listens pretty well so far. He’s very smart. Plays a little rough with my daughters puppy (same age different breed) but I’m working on that. And they will both be nuetered next month. He does like to dig through. Found a bunch of holes in my backyard. But Other than that he’s very well mannered.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I appreciate you all supporting me with advice and encouragement.  This reminds me when I came home from the hospital. After all guests went home I thought “I need an instruction manuel on how to do things right”  Lol. Come to find out..... Trial and error and end results will be when she is all grown.  “Good luck”

A few weeks have past since I last posted. Jaida 

4D80523E-8A91-400E-A470-EF1B24B4E261.jpeg

Archived