Resources for Training New Puppy

KKWinOK

Hi, I plan on getting a husky puppy soon and I’m no stranger to dogs. I have a husky/Pyrenees mix and a yorkie now but I am pretty rusty on current training techniques. I have to admit that I didn’t train the two I have now but they are relatively well behaved (except for jumping on me, but I’m beginning to work on that). Both are very laid back and love to please, thankfully. They are non-aggressive towards people and other dogs. I can’t say the same thing about wild rabbits that might show up in my backyard though. Anyway I recently learned that alpha rolling is a no-no and I started researching techniques that do work. It’s not something I used very much and thankfully I haven’t seen any signs of harm that it caused. Is there an all-inclusive resource like books that you would recommend on current techniques that do work?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome,

I personally just googled Husky training and used the ones that fit for my pups personality.

I do suggest that when looking at books make sure you look at the reviews, make sure the training is specifically for Huskies, and never use punishment. 

Lots of love, patience, and more love.

Well, a popular training method that I use is Positive Training. The basic theory of it is that you "lure" the dog into the behavior you want (i.e. want him to go into a down? hold treat between his paws - most dogs will lay down to get it) Then, once he has performed the behavior, you "mark"  (with a clicker and a treat, or a happy "Yes!" and a treat). After enough repetitions, the behavior becomes a habit...(you cue "down" . dog lays down. )...then  you can start "fading out" the treat, which is, reinforcing the behavior randomly instead of every time. This method covered about 90% of what I wanted to train my dog to do, but it didn't work well for pulling. 

A good book to learn about positive training is "Purely Positive" by Sheila Booth.

And I also enjoyed "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

But the best way of all to learn, was going to group obedience class! 

For example, applying to Jumping...you want NOT jumping to be rewarding. So, when dog jumps = no reward (you ignore, turn away, or even leave again). When dog is calm with all four paws on the floor, you mark "Good girl!!!" and give a treat. Pretty soon your dog will skip the Jump to move straight to "Good Girl" + Treat...& gradually (hopefully) your dog will unlearn the habit of jumping. You can see how this works with dog psychology in a different way than pushing them away with your knee - it's kind of like they are teaching themselves how to earn  rewards, and it seems to be an effective way for dogs to learn.

Anyway the basic idea of "marking" the behavior you want, with some kind of reward - I have seen it REALLY work with my dog. ( He even learned some bad habits - I accidentally "marked" his behavior of getting up and coming over when I'm eating a snack, by giving him a piece just once in a while. Now he will come over and lurk next to me almost all the time, in hope of getting a piece of my snack. )

Then once dog is trained around house/yard, it's time to practice out in the real world. Gradually making it more difficult - i.e. Sit in a quiet empty street? if that is OK, then Sit in a street with people walking by at a distance? If that was good, then Sit in the pet store checkout line? Dog trainers call it "working below threshold". 

Anyway there is so much on the internet about positive training...so I will shut up now 😄

Positive reinforced training works best, lots of patience (and love) and praise when they get it right, it’s the best way to build your relationship up with trust, with trust comes a bond and when you have that bond your dog will listen to you, that’s my experience with my 2. It doesn’t happen overnight and training is ongoing but when it comes together it’s worth the effort you put in.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I've used the book 101 dog tricks by kyra Sundance, it also has some basic obedience at the start it has a step by step and a picture guide to follow , it's pretty good at giving you ideas on reward based training , and the trick training is fun and a great way to bond and mentally stimulate a puppy

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I've used the book 101 dog tricks by kyra Sundance, it also has some basic obedience at the start it has a step by step and a picture guide to follow , it's pretty good at giving you ideas on reward based training , and the trick training is fun and a great way to bond and mentally stimulate a puppy

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

That looks like it’s a pretty good book. I may order that. I think I heard by Zak George that the mental stimulation can wear them out and that’s a good thing. After my first two yorkies (both are gone now), I didn’t do much training with the rest of my dogs. So this should be good for all of them. My Miska Bear started understanding sit and she’s about 6 now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived