Please please help me

Mndeutsch

I’m hoping someone out there can help me. This is Chance and he is almost 3 years old. We have been fighting a losing battle with Atopic Dermatitis since he was 5 months old. He’s had biopsy’s, bloodwork, and been on more medication than I can count. He’s seen 3 different veterinarians, been on rounds of steroids, keflex, antifungals, anxiety meds, and others. Nothing has made any difference. He’s in pain and it’s breaking my heart. I’m a seasoned husky owner but I’ve never seen anything like this. I hope someone somewhere out there has an answer or has delt with a similar solution. I don’t know what else to do, so hopefully this place can offer me some guidance. Thank you in advance to everyone who replies. It’s much appreciated by myself and by Chance.

928DAF52-E7F9-41B0-B97C-965E9C55047B.jpeg

A8A530DB-3AFB-4A82-92D2-3A585F8A3045.jpeg

CE611CA4-272B-4B14-99E2-222A470D34EE.jpeg

3rd vote for zinc deficiency   -  ask the vet to check  - in the meantime you can get a zinc based cream and put onto the sores,  -  if they get better then you know it is ZRD.    Also to help the immune system can you get some bovine colostrum off the internet  -  it helps with no end of things.      https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/colostrum-benefits-for-dogs/                   Can be used internally and externally.      I am using it on Marley  to help him heal from stomach  ulcers and leaky gut.

zincdeficiencyinsleddogs.pdf

Thank you for replying. Let me give you a quick bit of background on chance. He’s a puppy mill puppy. I found him covered in urine and feces at a puppy broker in Amish country, Pennsylvania. He’s had a pretty rough start and he’s super anxious and has a lot of problems but this is by far the worst. This has happened to him before and it’s hard to get him to take medication, which is no surprise since we’ve been making him take pills practically his whole life. While since deficiency was discussed with my vet she didn’t seem to know much about it. None of them did. I’m tying to move further away from medications and looking for a more natural approach to treating this. 

The pdf on ZRD will give you a good grounding.   If your vet doesn't know much about it   - go to a different vet.     Try to find a holistic vet near you  - there will be a register for you to check on line.   In the meantime try a zinc based cream on the sores  - if they heal over you will know, without a shadow of a doubt - that she is deficient in zinc.     Dogsnaturallymagazine  has a search facility for past posts on ZRD

Zinc deficiency is certainly something well worth looking into.
Other topical treatments to have a look at that may help are ‘golden paste’ it’s made with turmeric. Collidal silver has been mentioned before but I’m not very familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I’d definitely try a zinc supplement, ZRD at its worst will affect the immune system and all you end up doing is treating infection after infection, hope you get it sorted. Not many vets are knowledgeable about it even tho many husky’s suffer with zinc deficiency. A friend of mine uses Nutrazinc, a nutritional supplement, her fur baby was lethargic, wouldn’t eat, had sores etc all the vets prescribed was antibiotics and creams, they didn’t work, within a month of using Nutrazinc he was back to himself.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, Mndeutsch said:

Thanks for the responses. He is on Nutrived which is a zinc supplement but it’s really hard to get him to take them so I’m gonna try a cream instead. 

Any suggestions for a zinc based cream???

If you go to the home page page of this forum and select General diet and health.... these guys have posted a lot of info on ZRD and they talk about the creams and diet and stuff.

Worth a shot hunting it down.

I hope he feels better soon and please keep us posted.

Okay awesome. I ordered him an itch relief from Natural dog company that will be here tomorrow to buy me some time till his supplements get here and I switched him to a predominately raw diet. Hoping to at least ease his discomfort till his new supplements arrive and I can start treating him. Also looking into some Holistic vets in my area. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.snowdog.guru/correcting-zinc-deficiency-in-huskies/amp/

also anyone looking to supplement some extra since into their snow angels diet to prevent my current nightmare here’s an interesting read for all!

Archived