Alpha and Nush - new here

Nush_88

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. We brought him home when he was 7 weeks old. He is doing great in terms of health. But having a hard time with his biting habit. He has given me some nasty scratches over the last one week. What do I do to make him stop being aggressive and bitey 

35 days isn't 7 weeks it's just over 4 weeks so I'm confused, the nipping is why they should stay with their mum and siblings till at least 8 weeks old, yelp like his siblings would have done if they we're nipped to hard , he's not being aggressive bless him

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

35 days isn't 7 weeks it's just over 4 weeks so I'm confused, the nipping is why they should stay with their mum and siblings till at least 8 weeks old, yelp like his siblings would have done if they we're nipped to hard , he's not being aggressive bless him

Sorry, 7 was a typo. The breeder handed him over on the 35th day saying the mother had not been feeding for the last couple of days and he was used to eating solid food. All his siblings had been taken away. He was the last one to leave. Relieved that he has been eating well since day 1. Wasn't aware of the 8 weeks rule. Sounds unfair to Alpha. What can I do now to improve his behavior without making him uncomfortable?

Whether he was feeding from his mother or not, he still should have been with his mum and siblings, sounds like an awful breeder. You will have a lot of hard work on your hands now to teach him not to nip and he may well develop separation anxiety as well

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Marley was taken from his mum too early  -  I think it was around 6 weeks  - I got him at 12 weeks old and was his 4th owner by then.  He had problems with biting. I used to yelp loudly and turn away from him  (just as his siblings would have done).   He was still nipping at around 12-14 months old, but he eventually got the message that it was inappropriate.  I had the advantage of having a much older dog  (13)  who whilst older was still playful  -  but would not tolerate too much nipping.P1010379.thumb.JPG.88428875170f08af427ad163e3d7136d.JPG P1010423.thumb.JPG.9fb34d6dba9af3e18ea0ef835a550cca.JPG P1010434.thumb.JPG.cbe8a3655284edf1194fb18dfc772b97.JPG 845179560_P1010480(Copy).thumb.JPG.b1b738049fc9c8b2da9ebac2d6010e0b.JPG 

Marley is not a 'red' -  the red colouration around his throat comes from Lunar's saliva   -  he spent that long with his mouth around Marley's throat whenever Marley went beyond what Lunar would tolerate.   Between the two of us we got Marley to understand that teeth were for eating with  - not biting to get your own way.     The is the two of them now

P1010942.thumb.JPG.7159d48d017c838ef117160a0eea7815.JPGThey still have play fights - but only two serious short lived scraps in three years.

You have your work cut out for you   -  but patience, training, love  - and more patience will win out.   You may just work out that I have a different suite in the last photo  -  Marley ate the old one.    Huskies are a challenging breed  -   but the most rewarding  -  I will never have any other dog from now on  -  even hubby agrees our next dog will be a rescued husky.

This is very helpful all. I am first time husky parent and it has been a challenging couple of weeks. I will try the 'stop playing and ignore' approach during play time when Alpha gets bitey. I also read somewhere about tapping on the nose and saying NO firmly. What is your take on that?

I did the same thing as Wolfpup and my male stopped around 4 months old. My female still does it once in awhile. They are 10 months.

Don’t mouth play with either. That will in courage the behavior.

I got mine when they were 7 weeks and I had to go through the nippy phase and we are dealing with separation anxiety now.

There is a couple of trains of thoughts on exchanging your hand with a chew toy.

It could be rewarding the behavior or it will teach them to chew on their toy instead of you. 

My daughter would offer the toy and I would ignore them.... They stopped biting me first. LOL but I honestly think they stopped with me first because I am the one that is home with them all day and I do all their feedings and training. 

So I say go with whatever works best for your pup.

It takes time and lots of patients and training.

His grip is getting stronger each day. He grips and thrashes around his head. It is getting super difficult to get him off clothes especially coz his teeth dig in. Is it alright to hold him by the scruff to loosen the grip?

Hi, 

No, don’t tap him on the nose and don’t grab him by the scruff either. If you can’t get him off then maybe have some treats ready in your pockets and tell him to leave. When he leaves and goes for the treat that you’re giving him then give him loads of praise. I’m going to send you a direct message on a couple of hours as I got Luna when she was 6 1/2 weeks and I went through the same thing as you.

Hes gorgeous 🐶😊

I agree  never tap on the nose   -  you can break his nose and crush the delicate bones  -  even with one finger - and give him breathing problems for the rest of his life.    In my experience punishment of any kind is not the way to go   -    he is very maleable at the moment and can be taught with patience (a ton of it at least)  - but you dont want him to challenge you when he is 25-30 kilos.    Marley is 3 years old now and I've only heard him growl 4 times   - each and every time he was asleep and dreaming.    My vet says he needs disclipline - that he is spoilt  (and he might be - just not more than a lot) - but I only have to look sharply at him and point my finger at him for him to stop whatever it is he is doing  (like playing a little too roughly with the cat).  Or if I am sitting down whilst he is misbehaving I only have to stand up and take one step towards him and he immediately stops and rolls on his back, with a big grin on his face and his tail wagging furiously  -  he knows he will only get a tummy rub  -  but he does not go back to what he was doing.

There were times when I could have skinned him alive -  thought I was completely out of my depth - thought I had gotten a monster  -  but did not let it show in my reactions -  he knew I was very cross  -  but he was never physically punished   - it does not stop him from hanging his head down to say sorry - I only ever just lay my hand on his head and say "NO".

Since he has been ill, the vet immediately muzzles him before trying to take his temperature etc   -  last visit he had to have two injections and it took 3 of us to hold him  -  the vet still broke two needles  -  huskies are lightning-fast.    The vet said "he was worse than most Sibes and Mals  -  they are all a nightmare when something has to be done"  -  I just said that he had never known pain of any kind since he was with me  - not even "a tap on the nose"  .....................  the vet said  "It shows".

He also went through the resource guarding 'thing' -  and was pretty adamant that everything on the floor belonged to him, if he could steal it - it belonged to him, and no-one was going to get it off him  -  and dont come within 4 feet if he was feeding.     I am now at the stage where I can take food away from him   - even a bone  -  take away his food bowl halfway through a meal  -  I had to a couple of days ago because I had forgotten two of his medicines  -  I added them and added some high value food  (in this case some grated cheese) to his bowl and gave it back to him.   It took me 18 months to get to this stage.  It was the very first time I had had to take his food bowl away halfway through his meal  -  I wont make a habit of it.

Patience, love, understanding that he is 'just' a dog  - and you are the 'evolved' one,  you are the one with the higher brain function and can out-think and outsmart them  (most of the time anyway),  and remember that he is missing the all important life lessons his mum and siblings would have taught him  -  he only has you now to teach him to be the best dog he can be.

I firmly believe the husky is the best breed on the planet  -  very challenging  -  but you get so much more back from them.    Did I mention patience?

Good luck   -  I know you will make a great mom.

Hi, 
No, don’t tap him on the nose and don’t grab him by the scruff either. If you can’t get him off then maybe have some treats ready in your pockets and tell him to leave. When he leaves and goes for the treat that you’re giving him then give him loads of praise. I’m going to send you a direct message on a couple of hours as I got Luna when she was 6 1/2 weeks and I went through the same thing as you.
Hes gorgeous [emoji190][emoji4]
That would be great [emoji5]

I agree  never tap on the nose   -  you can break his nose and crush the delicate bones  -  even with one finger - and give him breathing problems for the rest of his life.    In my experience punishment of any kind is not the way to go   -    he is very maleable at the moment and can be taught with patience (a ton of it at least)  - but you dont want him to challenge you when he is 25-30 kilos.    Marley is 3 years old now and I've only heard him growl 4 times   - each and every time he was asleep and dreaming.    My vet says he needs disclipline - that he is spoilt  (and he might be - just not more than a lot) - but I only have to look sharply at him and point my finger at him for him to stop whatever it is he is doing  (like playing a little too roughly with the cat).  Or if I am sitting down whilst he is misbehaving I only have to stand up and take one step towards him and he immediately stops and rolls on his back, with a big grin on his face and his tail wagging furiously  -  he knows he will only get a tummy rub  -  but he does not go back to what he was doing.
There were times when I could have skinned him alive -  thought I was completely out of my depth - thought I had gotten a monster  -  but did not let it show in my reactions -  he knew I was very cross  -  but he was never physically punished   - it does not stop him from hanging his head down to say sorry - I only ever just lay my hand on his head and say "NO".
Since he has been ill, the vet immediately muzzles him before trying to take his temperature etc   -  last visit he had to have two injections and it took 3 of us to hold him  -  the vet still broke two needles  -  huskies are lightning-fast.    The vet said "he was worse than most Sibes and Mals  -  they are all a nightmare when something has to be done"  -  I just said that he had never known pain of any kind since he was with me  - not even "a tap on the nose"  .....................  the vet said  "It shows".
He also went through the resource guarding 'thing' -  and was pretty adamant that everything on the floor belonged to him, if he could steal it - it belonged to him, and no-one was going to get it off him  -  and dont come within 4 feet if he was feeding.     I am now at the stage where I can take food away from him   - even a bone  -  take away his food bowl halfway through a meal  -  I had to a couple of days ago because I had forgotten two of his medicines  -  I added them and added some high value food  (in this case some grated cheese) to his bowl and gave it back to him.   It took me 18 months to get to this stage.  It was the very first time I had had to take his food bowl away halfway through his meal  -  I wont make a habit of it.
Patience, love, understanding that he is 'just' a dog  - and you are the 'evolved' one,  you are the one with the higher brain function and can out-think and outsmart them  (most of the time anyway),  and remember that he is missing the all important life lessons his mum and siblings would have taught him  -  he only has you now to teach him to be the best dog he can be.
I firmly believe the husky is the best breed on the planet  -  very challenging  -  but you get so much more back from them.    Did I mention patience?
Good luck   -  I know you will make a great mom.
Absolutely agree about how awesome the breed is. He is a smart boy. Already plays fetch with us. We will invest time and effort completely on his behavior [emoji2]

13 hours ago, Nush_88 said:

His grip is getting stronger each day. He grips and thrashes around his head. It is getting super difficult to get him off clothes especially coz his teeth dig in. Is it alright to hold him by the scruff to loosen the grip?

I wouldn’t because it might cause  possessive aggression. 

My husband and I still have scares on our hands from their teeth. I also went through some shredded cloths. LOL

I truly believe the best thing to do is to ignore him when he does it. I know it is hard but it works.

You don’t want to make a big deal out of what you don’t want him to have. He will start becoming possessive aggression, swallowing the item so he can keep it, and start food aggression.

This is a very important time to teach manners and commands like leave it, drop it.

Say drop it and then offer a high value treat. This way he learns to drop it and knows he gets something really awesome in return. 

I wouldn’t because it might cause  possessive aggression. 
My husband and I still have scares on our hands from their teeth. I also went through some shredded cloths. LOL
I truly believe the best thing to do is to ignore him when he does it. I know it is hard but it works.
You don’t want to make a big deal out of what you don’t want him to have. He will start becoming possessive aggression, swallowing the item so he can keep it, and start food aggression.
This is a very important time to teach manners and commands like leave it, drop it.
Say drop it and then offer a high value treat. This way he learns to drop it and knows he gets something really awesome in return. 
Will I need shots for the teeth scratches he is making on my hands and feet? Is there a risk of infection?
I have started showing him a treat when he grasps and make him sit and calm down before I give it to him. Worked alright today. Hope I am doing it right and not reinforcing bad behavior.
Nonetheless today was a tough day. He just kept coming at my feet. Kind of drained emotionally [emoji20]

On 1/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Nush_88 said:

Will I need shots for the teeth scratches he is making on my hands and feet? Is there a risk of infection?
I have started showing him a treat when he grasps and make him sit and calm down before I give it to him. Worked alright today. Hope I am doing it right and not reinforcing bad behavior.
Nonetheless today was a tough day. He just kept coming at my feet. Kind of drained emotionally emoji20.png

Hey Nush,

Did you get my direct message I sent you the other day? 

Thanks

Amanda

Archived