Should I Get a Male or Female Puppy?

KKWinOK

Hi, I’m new here and I’m looking to get a husky puppy to add to my pack. I currently have a female Yorkie (Isabella) and a female husky/Pyrenees mix (Miska) who get along great. Both are betas, thankfully. Isabella was around before Miska and I got her around 8 weeks old thankfully. I figured that this would ensure that she would get along with her and the other yorkies I had at the time. Isabella is about 9 years old and Miska is about 5 or 6 years old now. Miska is so patient with Isabella and I can’t ever remember her having a problem with Isabella. She’s kind of guards with her food but she’s not aggressive. She’s very gentle and has more Pyrenees traits than husky...but she loves to exercise and roughhouse. Anyway, I’ve been reading about possible same sex issues with huskies. I put a deposit down on a puppy from a reputable breeder and have the choice to get a male or a female...and I want a female. After reading about people’s experiences with two females it has me concerned. Several years ago, I had a male husky puppy that started fighting when he got to be 6 months old and I had to get him adopted (had too many then anyway). So I know it can go both ways. Do y’all have any recommendations? Should I consider a male over a female? Or, is it possible to “test” a female for dominance (like rolling them over) to get an idea of alpha/beta? I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

I've always had males     -    usually two or three at a time   never had a problem,   I've probably just been lucky   -  they have always been rescues and adults  apart from Lunar and Marley who were both 12 weeks old when I brought them home to the older dogs

I had a male GSD when I was younger and I now have 2 husky boys, no issues with fighting or dominance now, Luka blue is more than capable of standing up for himself but Cai is the boss, they are very close. I think you gravitate towards what you know, my first was a male and I didn’t consider a female when I was looking for my pups, I think you’d have to look at how the 2 females would behave around a male, and when you first introduce them do it on neutral ground. Most dogs will get on, it’s important to get the introductions right. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

3 hours ago, chelseafan said:

I had a male GSD when I was younger and I now have 2 husky boys, no issues with fighting or dominance now, Luka blue is more than capable of standing up for himself but Cai is the boss, they are very close. I think you gravitate towards what you know, my first was a male and I didn’t consider a female when I was looking for my pups, I think you’d have to look at how the 2 females would behave around a male, and when you first introduce them do it on neutral ground. Most dogs will get on, it’s important to get the introductions right. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I just noticed I worded it as *Home*

You are so correct with the neutral place to introduce.

Thanks for the responses. The two I have now would probably do well with either a male or female. They’ve gotten along with both on the past. I used to have a blind male husky and they got along with him plus a male yorkie. But, I’ve also had several female dogs too. But I’ve gradually gotten down to two and felt ready to add another. I think it’ll boil down how the puppy behaves. I just hope I get a beta and not an alpha. I’ve read that you can temperament test them by rolling them on the back and observe how they behave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not alpha roll a dog! The dominance theory in dogs is totally outdated and disproven

My female does not like other females , it takes her a hell of a long time to trust a female dog , tho she was attacked when younger so that might be a factor but she is more accepting of males

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

546D5259-36F3-4364-817E-147144BDDA9F.thumb.png.98f3ba1d02145d483e905fc678b533fe.png

If the pup looks like this (body language) run! LOL 😂 

It just takes time to tell. Hopefully the person you are getting the pup from will allow you to visit a couple of times before picking. 

Ya, that dominance testing is not accurate or called for.

My male will show his belly all day long. But he runs the house!

My family and I went 4 times in a week / 10 day period. Every time we went the two we picked acted differently each time. We still picked the original girl but hubby just feel in love with the boy and had to have him.... he was bossy, pushing his litter mates around, and very vocal. I warned my husband he was going to be a handful! Wanted him anyways. 

Lol, that’s a cute husky! Okay I see what you’re saying. I’ve not had to deal much with an alpha but I feel confident that I could handle one. I figured a puppy plus training plus positive experiences and loving correction can go a long way towards having a peaceful pack.

I’d visit the breeders a few times and watch how the pups interact with each other and ask the breeder questions about their personalities. Cai was a dominant pup but with a great temperament, likes all dogs and people, Luka blue was always the first at the food bowl as a pup, before I brought him home, and he was easy to train using treats. I used their personalities to maximise training outcomes, it wasn’t all plain sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I’d visit the breeders a few times and watch how the pups interact with each other and ask the breeder questions about their personalities. Cai was a dominant pup but with a great temperament, likes all dogs and people, Luka blue was always the first at the food bowl as a pup, before I brought him home, and he was easy to train using treats. I used their personalities to maximise training outcomes, it wasn’t all plain sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I get to visit Friday/Saturday so I plan on watching them and talking to the breeder. She already knows I want a non-dominant dog. Thanks all for the comments!

I would ask for a relaxed, more submissive male!

From my personal experience, my dog (male) almost always gets along with female dogs.
He also gets along with laid-back male dogs, but there will be hackling/growling if he meets a high-ranking or dominant male. 

Thanks all for the replies. It seems that a submissive male would probably be the least risky even though I prefer a female. I’d rather have peace than risk having problems. It’s just hard to turn down an agouti that’s mostly black and the males from this litter are a little lighter in color. But all are beautiful.

Talk to the breeder they might have a submissive female

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks for your help. Yes, the breeder was helpful. She recommended one of the females that she described as “shy”. I asked if this particular female was calm and submissive and she agreed that she was. I agree from what I saw.  Between the two girls, the one I picked was more calm.  This is the girl I went with.  There were two nearly black huskies in the litter and three that were lighter dirty faced...all were very pretty.  Someone else picked the black one with blue eyes.  The dam is a reddish colored husky and the sire is dark like this one. I appreciate everyone's help!

117F018E-6136-45FD-8734-A04495FF233A-950-000000F248B2D130.thumb.jpg.7b9dfd7fb5a66838c22402e27fae94e7.jpg

Archived