How to interduce raw bones

2Huskyfun

So my pups are turning 10 months on the 27th. We have tones of food allergy issues.

Started switching to Taste of the Wild Stream (fish) But, has potatoes in it. 😓

Now we plan on traveling in the next few years and feeding raw will be an issue. (But If their allergy test comes back they way I think it will I may have no other choice). Plus I think I caught my pups in time for ZRD.... *that will be another post of THANK YOU GUYS!*

I bought a bag of Turkey jerky. It cost $15. I swear it only contained two 4 inch strips 😵. So I was WTF.

Then I remembered, I used to  dehydrate... I am now buying my own Lamb, turkey, and beef and may even do fish to dehydrate it for their treats.

I would like to start giving them raw fresh bones from the butcher. Please keep in mine that my male is a heavy chewer. * I used to give my wolf mix raw  knuckles and thigh bones and all kinds of stuff* But these guys make me cautious. I don’t want them chomping large chunks and swallowing and causing blockage.

What would be a great meaty bone that they can chew on without me stressing? LOL

6 hours ago, wolfpup said:

How about lamb necks if you want something chunky for them?  -   I give my guys lamb's ribs.   I dont like knuckly things for them as they can break their teeth on them.

Ya, hubby and I were talking about that last night. I give them nylabones for extrem chewers. He thinks those would be tougher on their teeth then a knuckle. Would it be?

I want something big enough to keep them busy for awhile but won’t break into large chunks that they (the boy) can chock or cause a blockage.

I never thought twice with my big girl and the old man. I gave them whatever the butcher had left over. Sometimes the remanding bones would be buried other times they would bring me the little nubbins that we’re left. LOL

8 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Chicken drumsticks?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

They are highly allergic to chicken.

That is why I am going to start dehydrating white fish, lamb, turkey, and we will try beef 🤞. For treats.

All the store treats have chicken meal. 😡. Even the ones that state White fish and Seeet potatoes. White fish is like the 6th Ingredients and chicken products are 1-5. Uggg.

They have an appointment to get their boosters soon and I am requesting an allergy and Zinc test to be done.

From home testing, I am really worried that it is going to be a long list of things.... 😓

Hubby even pointed out it could be the laundry detergent. Every time I wash their blankets, they get really itchy for a few days.

I wish they could have chicken, it would make my life so much easier.

But I will do anything to make my fur babies happy. Doing all my research in  preparation of them having to go on a full raw diet. I will have to do it myself and not go through a company. We have had 6 recalls relating to raw food companies in the past 5 weeks. 🤔 You guys posting about raw food diets help a lot. Once I get the allergy test back I can start coming up with a game plan.

The boy has started vomiting everytime I give him bully sticks or any brand similar to that. 

1 hour ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Ya, hubby and I were talking about that last night. I give them nylabones for extrem chewers. He thinks those would be tougher on their teeth then a knuckle. Would it be?

I want something big enough to keep them busy for awhile but won’t break into large chunks that they (the boy) can chock or cause a blockage.

I never thought twice with my big girl and the old man. I gave them whatever the butcher had left over. Sometimes the remanding bones would be buried other times they would bring me the little nubbins that we’re left. LOL

I've always been told that beef knuckle bones are far too hard and could break teeth  -  maybe a lamb knuckle  -  as  I have always avoided knuckle bones I really cannot say.

I give my 2 lamb ribs and they last all of 2 seconds! My local butcher saves me small/medium lamb knuckle, they’re rounded and I’ve never had teeth issues. Giving them the bones keeps them out of mischief, once they’ve chewed it they’ll sit by it for a while but I always bin them at the end of the day so there’s no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived