Tips on crate training a puppy

lovelife82

Hi,

We have had Luna since she was 5 1/2 weeks old and she just turned 8 weeks Saturday gone. Since we had her she has been sleeping with us on our bed. I have read that it’s good to crate train them for when we have to go out of the house etc. Is it still possible to crate train her? What size crate would you recommend and any tips on the best way to train her to feel happy in her crate would be great.

Just to add that Luna hasn’t had an accident for 3 days. She goes to the back door when she needs to go toilet and last night my boyfriend let her out at 2am and then she slept until I got up for work at 7am. She’s doing really well for being just 8 weeks old right? She also comes and sits when we ask her to 😬

Thanks

Amanda 

E2C579A3-4198-4C74-8D9E-E3F760E62CC3.jpeg

FF57EA44-FC57-4526-990D-D10C20EC1C74.jpeg

What a gorgeous pup. The best thing to introduce them into a crate that is that the size that will fit them when they are fully grown from nose to base of tail; and the one way to do it is once they've got their bedding in or something not too chewable is to get them in by throwing a treat through the open door ..let them go and pick it up;  as soon as they bend to pick it up to eat shut the door quietly (slamming it is not going to help at all) and repeat this for a few times and then gradually start lengthening the time in, with that door shut and give them praise & give them a treat and then let them out ... don't let them stay in long enough to then start whining and scratching because when you do let them out that would be a cue to them to say "hey if I make a fuss I can get out" - you want them to remain quiet with the words of praise and a little treat through the crate;  make sure the crate's in an area they can see you from, when you do start closing the door for longer periods, say, working around the house popping out the back to the bin coming back in ...  so they can see you and know you're aroun.

I always have the radio on as well and I cover the top 2/3 of my crate and ... for my two it is an extra extra large one as mine are husky X malamutes and they both go into this when required but otherwise one sleeps in, one sleeps out, decided at night with them; the crate or the bed by airing cupboard door beside them & sitting room door (closed) behind, so there is a niche there in the corner.

It's slow but look at successdogs.com - he recommends this kind of training for an introduction my aren't kept locked up indoors, if I go out; they have 24/7 access out to a secure rear run and shelters and they use the crate alternatively during the day if they want to snooze and rest or sleep on the runner in the kitchen as the crate is in the inner hall atrium (bungalow). 🤗

I wish I could find an old post I did. I had pics and everything. Does anyone know how to pull up old post? I think it was in June, for sure under Training, not sure if I started the post or not....

I started with my crates in the middle of the living room.

I put the crates together when I got them and left the doors open. Every time they went in on their own I said Kennel and gave them a treat. Never shutting the door.

Then I started feeding them in their crates. I would say Kennel, once they were in and setting I put their food inside quietly shutting the door. As soon as they were done eating (before they made any noise) I would open the door saying release.

I left the crates in the living open during the day. Continuing to treat every time they went in on their own. Plus feed them in there. 

Soon they napped on their own in their own crates. Once they did this I made it move advance.

*All this time working on Set, stay/wait, release, down, kennel, and yes nap time.* 

After feedings I would extend the time they stayed in their crate using wait when they whined. This is slow and steady. I am talking 30 seconds, then a minute, increasing by 30 seconds at each level. *please keep in mind I was training two pups at once so it took a lot longer and I had to keep both personalities in mind and if one was having an off day*

Now 9 months and kennels are in the bedroom; they know after eating they lay down for 30 minutes in their crates. They nap in their crates, if they want a treat they will go in and lay down then (tell me) they are ready. LOL Normally midday. Or if one is cranky or wants to chew on something without the other one bothering them they go in their crate. *I trained them to stay out of each other’s crate.*

I am a stay at home, so as that is a good thing I had two.... I also found they love their schedule. If we get off schedule the boy gets pouty and gives me the stink eye and mopes. LOL 

Eat about 5:30 am lays back down until 7 am, walk before 10 depending on how cold it is LOL for an hour and half. Hangout until around noon. Crate with chewy *good day about an hour and a half* Go for another walk, hangout, then dinner 5:30, after 30 minutes of rest playtime, then bed time.... 

It is important to have them rest after eating 30 minutes . I wait 2 hours before and after feedings before long walks or hard play time. This helps keep the chance of bloat down. Crates work great for this. Plus if they ever have surgery or long stay at a vet, crate training now will keep them from being stressed when vet stays are needed. Or just to keep them out of trouble.

I do not personally crate mine for leaving the house or at night. I am training them to be loose in the house with Limited access (one room) while I am gone for short periods of time. But I do keep up on their crate training just in case something happens and they have to be in crates. 

Start now! Go slow, DO NOT use as a punishment. (I have used it as a time out- never yell or say bad dog, I just say Kennel time and give them a treat: they can get on each other’s nerves sometimes) LOL Plus at this stage, just randomly putting them in for short periods is good to do. 

Ooo my post maybe under toy possessive... I will advise if I find it. LOL

Archived