Bike joring /scooter uk

Onceuponadime

Hi, 

Learning my boy the commands just got myself a great second hand scooter. When I'm looking at the rig and Google there is lots of contradictions on it. I would like some advice from someone who does use a scooter to excercise their sibe. What's the length of the line recommended please. I do have a 6ft long bungee leash plus harness which is a husky harness.  Is 6ft leash long enough or would I need to attach this to a longer gangline.

If you go to Snowpaws or Hooners or any other husky related site for joring - bike, scooter or rig/parts accessories, you can buy single or 2 or 3 or 4 or more dog-line leads for pulling a rig or a scooter or, hooking up.. to a bike; and they will best advise you what you need, to hitch up, what is safe, for you and your dog.
Do you make sure you have a secondary safety line or rope from dog to you.

I would also not go out at all on your own; if you came off or hurt yourself, or something happens to your furkid, you need somebody there to pick you up and get you home and sort the dog out as well so please be very careful where you run.
I'm not sure which part of the country you're in but you need to also make sure that you are not breaking any bylaws of the Council
.. public pavements are out and not good for the joints on the dog anyway... public footpaths may be ok but I will get landowners permission if you are near a farm or anywhere in private property, and you need to be really extra careful with a livestock stock around particularly.
Get good strong bungee cord depending what your dog is.
The smaller Siberians don't need as big shock bungee cord as I have for my two husky malamute because they are just over 12 Stone combined and they also pull a three-wheel running rig, but I do have a poor Pawtrekker scooter; there is another gadget you can get call the Tug and Tow and if you google this and search for it you may be able to find it - not very cheap but it has a retractable line on a spring and then you're not having to worry about the lead dropping and winding roubd your rig, or running over it so yeah there are choices but do look around and ask more on other husky sites too especially the running ones and the sports husky running ones I think

Anyway..  good luck!
Also - check out insurance cover because your normal pet insurance does not cover you or dog, in rig running.. and you'll only get Third Party cover; in the unfortunate event that you or your dog and rig, bike or scooter end up hurting somebody else.

In the event it is somebody else's fault I would certainly advise you get a pro-cam camera that you wear either on your helmet (very wise to have protective gear on) a harness on your body in front so you can also have a cover to argue your case if it isn't your fault .. should anything happen this is really important I've I've learnt that from reading lots of other people's posts and even walking out the dog a lot of people now have a camera or something to log it, and witness if another dog coming out to attack your dog or in the event their dog is off lead and yours isn't.. there's lots of things that you need to watch out for with huskies because they are generally very friendly but they can also become quite aggressive and defensive aggressive in the event of any other dog coming round to them.

The Forest of Dean by the way, also have running days and tracks..  but you need a permit however I believe (because I've waited over 5 years for a permit) ... if you can find someone already in.. to go as their guest then you can have a go at doing some 'fun runs' and with friends.
I spent a year walking my dogs out in harness on a canibelt while I saved for my 3wheel rig, and taught them indoors - spinning Gee and Haw but also re teaching them the word 'leave' to 'On by ' and to pass or overtake with 'Go by' ... there are other commands they've learned to 'ease up' and stop 'Whoa!' or 'wait'.

And I've just about mastered a 180 degree turn to reverse direction and retrace... there's a lot to do, you've got the one dog -  you can teach from Successdogs.com.

It also teaches you how to get the spin right doing it indoors first.  I would certainly suggest you have a look at that site because it proved very very useful for me! [emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering how to hook the secondary line up. I know one is from scooter to dog but how does the second line work. Unfortunately there are no clubs up near me in the North. I won't be ru ning him on the hard as I know it's bad for paws. I'm I getting a go pro mainly for safety. 

It's often called 'the suicide line'!

You can get some nylon rope tie a figure of 8 stop knot onto his collar, or, harness through a 'D' ring and this goes back to you around your chest (some say they tie it to their left arm but if you want a dislocated arm/shoulder I wouldn't!)

And I have come off, but refused to let go of the handlebars!  Yelling Whoah! Wait! also worked!

I have another line that runs to a bag in front of me to grab and remove to wrap around a tree ( attached to the rig to hold the difs in place should I need to, to then step off my three wheel rig. When standing on with disc brakes and on, it is quite hard fir my two to really pull me away... but not if I step off it! Unless a buddy can hold them. 

Elbow & Knee pads/protectors night be useful too.

Mine can kick off & hit nearly 30mph then settle to between 8 to 12 to 18mph depending on terrain & levels

You want strong legs to help them move on rough ground, mud etc so good grip footwear too on feet -  maybe high ankle ones to protect against twisted ankles!walking a lot with them helps get them fitter, and you!  Yoy'll be surprised how fast you can get tired pyshingto fet them through boggy ground and a goid musher always helps their digs, even getting off and running with rig or scooter or bike; takes some practice get back on board too! 

Good gloves to grip with, but also to avoid scraped flesh!   Serious racers may wear lycra, but I'm all for warmth, and all over protection! Lol.  Locking carabiners /a swivel one if you don't want a twisted line.  🤗

Maz thanks for the info I do 14 mile walks regular with him now. I use gloves as I live in a rural area and walk him on 50 ft leash and he's clever at going after pheasants and hare so I get rope burns. If when you have the time a photo of your rig would be helpful. I do have a walking belt which the suicide line  might attach too? I use the belt hiking its a well padded one for Huskies. I only have one husky so its an extra form of excercise for him. Currently he gets two good walks a day unless I'm off out for a long walk on the moors. I bought some mushers secret wax ready for winter. He likes to run but I'm not a runner hence the scooter. 

You're lucky to do those distances as With my neck issue (degenerative spondylosis or, crumbling bones), wrecked knees (Anterior CLs, & sides) and now my Rt hip, but I can manage up to five miles with rests, and usually do between 2 to 3 and, if I'm really bad, I take them out on my mobility scooter which they"re goid to run beside ne each side! off my canibelt. I can easily do five or more miles however do need to build up their stamina.  It's great fun.. too.  

Yes a lifeline to your canibelt, but whichever side they may 'dart' to (if prey drive kicks in), dictates whether you get pulled over and can stop,  or even steer to, or dragged over.  🤗

Really work on gee, haw, here! (To come back to you asap and sit), Ease up!/Easy! ..  Wait! (when approaching a curb, or multichoice turn), Walk on, Straight on, On on! On on! (to keep going regardless) about turn -gee/haw (180° turn). In early training, do praise and treat when able; I carry a waist treat bag.

And always bring water for them. 

BTW  it is advised to give four hours respite after food before heavy exercise . Nor feed within an hour after. Bloating can kill. They'll drink what they need, however encourage them to have a break, and or at least not drink a huge amount.  If setting off again, let their breathing settle enough to catch their second wind.  

I start with 200 yard sprints, rest then return a bit slower. Increase after three days and so on.  Athletes are advised to rest alternate days in training, so do this too re runs, but walk out instead in between.  I don't do longer than 1 mile runs, each way as thisis thecmax length I have on a friendly farmer's land. 

Running on mixed surfaces of (brief) tarmac, concrete, plus packed earth / gravel, mud and grass will toughen up their pads. Booties can & do protect them, not keep them warm especially in cutting ice conditions.  

They can get ice burns & grazes, so check pads, ... and your tack regularly, keep clean/rinsed through, re stitching and tearing. 

Archived